Is Insulation Really Needed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cntbill

Jan 18, 2008
Reading PA Area
www.cnt-web.biz
Our home is a ranch with a full basement, about 1200 Sq Ft each level. The basement is unfinished, mostly below grade except for the last two rows of blocks. The stove is in the basement and keeps the whole house warm, of course much warmer in the basement. The main floor, ceiling of the basement has R13 insulation installed between the joists, paper side up towards the floor. Sooner or later our plans are to finish the basement.

My question, is the insulation really required in the ceiling of the basement being that both spaces are conditioned area's, and once finished will it really make a difference other than providing somewhat of a sound deading?

My thinking is to remove the insulation and use it to do the garage. Also will the heat from the stove would be better as it will be also heating the floor above?

Any Thoughts?

I would think if the insulation was taken out, since your heat source is in the basement, it would also help heat the floors of the upper level, making it more comfortable. I think the only reason to have the insulation there would be for sound deadening.

If you're heating the basement, and if you don'T have radiant floor heating for the first floor. Than, you don'T need insulation there. IT maybe was insulated becaise a previous owner didn'T want to heat the basement.

wingsfan said:
I would think if the insulation was taken out, since your heat source is in the basement, it would also help heat the floors of the upper level, making it more comfortable. I think the only reason to have the insulation there would be for sound deadening.

That is pretty much what I have been thinking, as I removed the insulation from under the bathroom area since it is a tile floor and you can feel the difference between the bathroom and hall area.

Fi-Q said:
If you're heating the basement, and if you don'T have radiant floor heating for the first floor. Than, you don'T need insulation there. IT maybe was insulated becaise a previous owner didn'T want to heat the basement.

Yes I believe it was installed when the house was built as part of the design to get away with a cheaper - lower capacity furnace and AC unit, and something to do with code about living space must be insulated. Basement not finished - not living space, and that living space is only the one floor get away with only a 75,000 BTU unit, instead of a 150,000 BTU unit saving the builder/developer a bit of money on each house... adding up to thousands.

Bill... said:
Fi-Q said:

Yes I believe it was installed when the house was built as part of the design to get away with a cheaper - lower capacity furnace and AC unit, and something to do with code about living space must be insulated. Basement not finished - not living space, and that living space is only the one floor get away with only a 75,000 BTU unit, instead of a 150,000 BTU unit saving the builder/developer a bit of money on each house... adding up to thousands.

I know what you're talking about. Those contractor are making everything they can to save a few $$. One of my friend just bought a house. The contractor was all happy to told him they we'Re giving a air force gas furnace for free with the house.

The dark side of this is: First the furnace is not ''Free''. But it didn't cost nothing to the contractor. The gas company is giving nit to YOU with a 10 year supply contract. And because the heat is 100% gas, they put a 100 amp service to the house instead of a 200 amp......

I can't imagine how many peolpe are getting F**k by general contractor / massive home builder.......

Fi-Q said:
I know what you're talking about. Those contractor are making everything they can to save a few $$. One of my friend just bought a house. The contractor was all happy to told him they we'Re giving a air force gas furnace for free with the house.

The dark side of this is: First the furnace is not ''Free''. But it didn't cost nothing to the contractor. The gas company is giving nit to YOU with a 10 year supply contract. And because the heat is 100% gas, they put a 100 amp service to the house instead of a 200 amp......

I can't imagine how many peolpe are getting F**k by general contractor / massive home builder.......

Yea that stuff and those type of builders get my goat as well and it is a shame they get away with it most of the time.

40 years ago maybe 150k btu input furnace, but since the advent of the efficient (90%or better) the max a 1200 sq reasonable insulated house would need is about a 50k. I am using a 92% unit and it is only 75k input does just fine on a 1960 2000sq ft ranch. ( That is when I turn it on which is not very often)

blades said:
40 years ago maybe 150k btu input furnace, but since the advent of the efficient (90%or better) the max a 1200 sq reasonable insulated house would need is about a 50k. I am using a 92% unit and it is only 75k input does just fine on a 1960 2000sq ft ranch. ( That is when I turn it on which is not very often)

That makes better sense than, so maybe just some kind of code thing to have the floor/ceiling insulated?

Status
Not open for further replies.