Is it a stove or a fireplace?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eclecticcottage

Minister of Fire
Dec 7, 2011
WNY
I see them listed as "fireplaces", but I always thought a fireplace was built in place and these are self contained, like a stove. BUT it doesn't have doors like a stove, just a spark screen. So...what is it?

index.php

Fireplace is the best term because there is no control over air input. The little heat you get is mostly from standing close to the front, radiating from the flames and hot coals

It's a relic. More decorative than functional. I'd think one would get more utility out of a nice pair of Go-Go boots. :p Rick

Ooo..Darth Vader stove, lol.

It's a Temco Hunter. There's something about the city of LA on the back too, can't recall what it's approved for there.

I've been calling it a fireplace and a stove interchangably just because I can't quite pin down which it is.

fossil said:
It's a relic. More decorative than functional. I'd think one would get more utility out of a nice pair of Go-Go boots. :p Rick

It's really meant for occasional burns in our three season porch-to make it a four season porch if we feel like it, lol. DH's family home had a red one, as I recall, it did manage to warm things up pretty nice. His father/stepmother used it when we had a huge ice storm several years ago to keep the house warm and it was pretty reasonable in there.

I would not refer to it as a stove. I'd call it a freestanding fireplace, like having an indoor chiminea. Or I'd call it scrap metal. Rick

fossil said:
Or I'd call it scrap metal. Rick

Lol, no way. If we didn't want it I'd sell it. Mid Century Modern is HOT right now. People are getting several hundred for the Malm versions, I imagine the name isn't the big draw, it's the style. Tag it up with words like "mid-century" "mod" "eames"...oh yeah. Watch, soon people will be after Avocado kitchen ranges and shag carpet. It's only a matter of time. 50's are bigger right now (except certain things like Fisher Price toys, 70's and even 80's are hot there), but it all comes around. Nostalgia sells.

I'm just glad I got my wood crates before the frenzy hit. If I wasn't using them as shelves in our antique booth, I'd get good money for them too. Heck, the farm we got our grape crates from said they sold some old beer crates to an antique dealer that's getting $40 a piece for them.

eclecticcottage said:
...50's are bigger right now...

Hmm, I might bring a good price then...vintage 1948. :lol:

I've seen a few capped with Unvented Gas Log sets in them.

So have I. We thought about it, but prefer the wood.

A lava lamp on each side really sets the mood.

Strobe light, black light, some great posters on the wall, bead curtain in the doorway and incense burning...Iron Butterfly on the turntable. Jeez, I'd almost swear I remember that fireplace...but it was a different color. Actually, it was a number of different colors. But then, claiming I accurately remember things from back then has gotten me into some embarassing situations, so I no longer speak of them outside of a small circle of friends who were there with me...or so I seem to recall. :roll:

Lava lamps would freeze it's not heated out there...but maybe we could put some IN it during the off season, lol.

I saw an avocado one once...sweet.

I think Malm only sells a gas version now? (edit) never mind, I do see wood versions...

Status
Not open for further replies.