Is it bad to store pellets in the Garage???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brian22

Apr 28, 2009
Maine
I bought 4 tons and was talking to a guy that is opening up a stove shop across from my work. He told me I bought my pellets to early and they will probably go bad in my Garage? He said they will soak up the humidity and go bad. How would that be any different from being out doors? Well I'm a bit worried but would like to know what you guys think? I keep my windows open and its far from air tight...so the air dosn't get stale in there. My dealer told me that they would be fine? What do you think?

Nahh you're fine. Been storing pellets in my garage
for several years and they've never "soaked" up
the humidity. I keep them on the skids they arrived on.
Never a problem. My garage has no windows btw.

I put plastic on top of the pallats that the pellets where going on...but thats it...I didnt rewrap them with plastic or anything...would be hard now....they are stacked up against the back wall in my garage..lol

It's only bad to store four tons of pellets in your garage if that means your wife's car has to be parked outside. ;-P Rick

My dealer has tens of TONS of pellets stored outside for next season... they are in the open but double wrapeed. never had a bad pellet from them...

All bags have tiny little holes from the stacking process. The holes aren't big enough to be a problem. If it was a problem the pellet manufacturer would make a better and thick bag. I actually have 3 tons in my basement. I am not worried at all.

The only time that I have seen this to be a problem is when the pellets are stacked directly on the concrete floor. if you leave them on pallets or place them on skids you will be fine.

fluemasterjr said:
The only time that I have seen this to be a problem is when the pellets are stacked directly on the concrete floor. if you leave them on pallets or place them on skids you will be fine.

I put my pellets on my floor in the basement, but I laid some cheap self-stick vinyl tile down first....I had no problems with any of the pellets, including the bags that touched the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.