Is it better to have the flue gas probe thermometer above or below the damper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Do you have your flue gas probe installed above or below your damper?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Detector$

Dec 16, 2007
NC
Where is the best place to install the flue gas probe thermometer? Above or below the damper (I have a very tall chimney and connector pipe)? And Why?

Don't know if this is correct or not but I have mine above the damper thinking I can gage how the damper is effecting flue temps.

I would say above... Draft suction pressure above the damper should be stronger which should cool the gasses. Below it would give stove gas temps.

That's my guess, take it for what it's worth... ZERO!

Like my former college professor would say, "It all depends." What is your purpose for the temp probe? If it is to help you run the stove at an optimum level, then place it below the damper. If it is to help you monitor safe and/or effective temps in the flue to prevent creosote, then place it above the damper.

RonB said:
If it is to help you run the stove at an optimum level, then place it below the damper.

That's what stovetop thermometers are for.

Due to the loose fit of probe meters would it be more likely to have smoke spillage from a probe meter mounted below the damper?

Highbeam said:
RonB said:
If it is to help you run the stove at an optimum level, then place it below the damper.

That's what stovetop thermometers are for.

Due to the loose fit of probe meters would it be more likely to have smoke spillage from a probe meter mounted below the damper?

I don't think smoke spillage should be an issue if the thermometer is properly installed (mine required two differently sized bits for a very snug fit) . . . and the flue is drafting properly.

Incidentally, my vote would be for placing the thermometer above the damper.

Status
Not open for further replies.