Is it enough air?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AGPBurning

Jan 13, 2024
Grande prairie Alberta
Might be simple might not be. I have a double sided fireplace upstairs and a single sided downstairs. I lit a fire upstairs one time since owning the house ( about a year and a half now) and the basement started to fill with smoke. I found that birds had came to make home in the outside air vents but have recently got that all cleared up. Both chimneys are at the same height on exit. My question is is the air vents having a birds nest in it enough to mess up the houses pressure when having a fire? Since there’s no air vent inside the actual fireplace. Just on the outside. It’s that enough air getting in? I’ve added a few photos and the air vent is the small one on the base. There’s one on each side. The house also has a boiler. No actual forced air vents. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the help.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Do the two chimneys terminate side by side at the same height? If so, that is the problem. Have the upstair's flue extended 12-18" so that the smoke does not siphon down into the lower fireplace.

Reactions: danrclem