Is it fine to run stove without fan on?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

newtonfb

Jan 23, 2013
This may be a stupid question but I gotta ask anyway.

I have my Enviro ef5 hooked up to a thermostat and it runs great. The problem is its older (2001) and if it runs too low with the fan on itll cool down enough and eventually shut off. With it being older, it wont automatically turn back on, someone has to go push the button for it to go on again unlike the newer models. So what I've been doing it just leaving the fan off and it runs great. Keeps the house up to temperature and runs at a low setting so not many pellets are being used anyway. I just want to make sure it cant hurt the stove, I dont see how it can, as its not running at full speed anyway. Thanks

Reactions: Ranger72
Probably will not hurt,but I would think your settings are wrong for low burn,not enough fire in pot,so with fan running switch cools down and opens.What happens when tstat calls for heat and fire ramps up and no convection fan?Dangerous.. I think you should not do this,but get proper fire on low setting.
http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-12145 Instruction PELLET Service Manual.pdf

I'm curious why it's dangerous? The manual tells you to keep fan off while the stove starts up and gets up to temp. Also, when the stove is up to temp it won't call for heat unless it 20deg orless outside. It sometimes even slowly rises actually. When it's not calling for heat the auger is at a constant rate of 8 sec per turn

Last edited:
I cant speak for the workings of your stove. But depending on what your heat exchanger is made of it could anneal at high temps with the fan not running. That may result it it eventually cracking somehow and letting damage smoke into the living area. Or it could be fine who knows.

http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-11139 Instruction Evolution EF5 Domestic Owners Manual.pdf

''For the best efficiency and to prevent cycling, the convection blower should be
left on at all times''

From reading the manual, for some reason there's an option to turn off the convection blower! Why in the H would you do that since this is not a radiant appliance? It relies on the blower to remove the heat your generating by burning pellets and putting it into the room. If you've turned off the blower, then I imagine that's why it won't turn back on.

IMHO this is just flat out dangerous to run this way plus all your heat and $$$ is going up the flue. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: yrock87
http://enviro.com/custom_content/docs/manuals/C-11139 Instruction Evolution EF5 Domestic Owners Manual.pdf

''For the best efficiency and to prevent cycling, the convection blower should be
left on at all times''

From reading the manual, for some reason there's an option to turn off the convection blower! Why in the H would you do that since this is not a convection appliance? It relies on the blower to remove the heat your generating by burning pellets and putting it into the room. If you've turned off the blower, then I imagine that's why it won't turn back on.

IMHO this is just flat out dangerous to run this way plus all your heat and $$$ is going up the flue. Just my opinion. Good luck.
TJ some stoves have that feature(my accentra) it is called fireplace mode,for little heat output but ambiance of a fire.However his hooked to tstat,does it ramp up when heat is called for?Was too tired to look for his book.

TJ some stoves have that feature(my accentra) it is called fireplace mode,for little heat output but ambiance of a fire.However his hooked to tstat,does it ramp up when heat is called for?Was too tired to look for his book.
Thanks for the 'education', Bob. :) That makes sense but I hope it has a heat sensor on it so that if you turn it up, the fan goes on automatically. He says that he MUST MANUALLY turn his blower on each time it calls for heat. That doesn't sound right at all. He's going to warp/melt/ruin something for sure WHEN it overheats.
I guess my stoves would have the 'ambiance mode' too if it never got hot enough to turn the fan on. :) I don't need ambiance though. Those days are long gone.

Thanks for the 'education', Bob. :) That makes sense but I hope it has a heat sensor on it so that if you turn it up, the fan goes on automatically. He says that he MUST MANUALLY turn his blower on each time it calls for heat. That doesn't sound right at all. He's going to warp/melt/ruin something for sure WHEN it overheats.
I guess my stoves would have the 'ambiance mode' too if it never got hot enough to turn the fan on. :) I don't need ambiance though. Those days are long gone.
On the harmans if you turn temp up higher it auto comes out of fireplace mode.Don't need any of that here right now,still have both stoves running since sunday night,bright sun,temp just came up to 0.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
The Harman will kick on the blower if fireplace mode is set too high to protect itself. I would never allow myself to waste pellets in this mode myself. It is all about maximizing money for heat to me. Probably good for a dealer who has 10nstoves running for demo. :)

Reactions: tjnamtiw
Status
Not open for further replies.