Is it me? I'm not homeless, I don't have a log splitter!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
Saw this in my Local CL postings.

A log splitter is needed to help the homeless residents of Ocean County with their winter wood cutting. If you have a log splitter and are willing to donate it for a week (or so), please contact us so we can put it to good use. If need be we will be able to pick up the equipment at your home or place of business. Please let us know and thanks so much in advance.

Years ago I used to loan mine to the Boy Scouts every year to cut firewood for sale. Heck, one time they actually brought it back with gas in it.

gzecc said:
Saw this in my Local CL postings.

A log splitter is needed to help the homeless residents of Ocean County with their winter wood cutting. If you have a log splitter and are willing to donate it for a week (or so), please contact us so we can put it to good use. If need be we will be able to pick up the equipment at your home or place of business. Please let us know and thanks so much in advance.
The homeless residents? The wood they are splitting is to be burned this winter in their barrel under the bridge?

Homeless residents? Oxymoron?

I'm sure it's a noble cause, but the ad probably could have been worded better. It does sound like it is to be used by the homelss for heat. Maybe the wood is for sale to raise money for a shelter?

I certainly am one to help others out but with the numerous scams on boards like CL, I would be throwing up red flags at the suggestion to lend out my splitter. How would you know that they are going to properly operate it? They are better off asking for donations so they could go rent one for a week or ask people to bring theirs to a designated spot to help split.

I would loan mine for a good cause IF I am the operator . Heck...I would even supply the gas. I would insist on the FIRST drink from the wine bottle

If you are truly homeless, why split your wood? Burn barrels don't collect creosote! Have I gone too far?

Here in the greater Detroit area (True oxymoron) ;-P I see Craigslist firewood donations for less fortunate families struggling to keep warm. I'm all about that!

When I was scrounging in Spring 2009 I met a Mechanical engineer that was out of work.

He said his wife was still working but he was spending the better part of the week scrounging wood just in case they couldn't afford to heat their home come winter.

people are really hurting out there but its a lot to ask someone to loan out their equipment......IMHO sounds like a total scam. :mad:

quads said:
The homeless residents? The wood they are splitting is to be burned this winter in their barrel under the bridge?

:lol:

Ya, lasts longer than newspaper for sure.

Maybe they're gonna use it to fire up their still. Make themselves some "Dumpster Shine".

Does sound a bit silly, must be to raise funds but even that is kinda weak due to the competition for firewood sales in NJ. I for one find it extremely easy to scrounge my 6 cords a year so I wont be buying any.

I own my home ( well me and the bank) and I'm using my Fiskars for all my splitting. Hmmmm. CL scam perhaps?? I'm all for helping the less fortunate, could be anyone of us next week, but there are those who prey of the good intensions of others to make there living.

Perhaps the organization gets free municipal wood and rely on volunteers to split it and then the wood is sold to homeowner and the cash raised goes to benefit "homeless programs"? That might make sence.

Otherwise - I don't see where a homeless person would have much need for firewood - except as has been mentioned to burn in a barrel. I could see it going to the poor and elderly, who have homes and can't afford to buy delivered wood.

i'M THINKIN SCAM! There are so many ways to raise money for the needy, why would anyone choose a benefit that is very dangerous to the unexperienced and requires a lot of hard work, blood sweat and tears. Plus the work/profit ratio on firewood is too small in my mind unless you process with big equipment. If I sold what I have it would be $500 a cord for what I have into it. Volunteers are great people but most are not willing to really work. I know there are tons of true volunteers that give more than they should, but not as many as you think.

I worked for "Extreme Home Makeover" when it came to town for 12 hours, most people stood around and followed the camera's. The only person I followed was Paige because.......well just because %-P

I don't want to be the guy who watches my $2500 splitter attached to some other guys truck whom I've never met drive away on a handshake and a smile.

We've recently had a large amount of "homeless" in our area at the on and off ramps of the highway, with signs for money, with a malnourished dog tied to a sign pole. I offered food, they refused, cash only. Later that same day while looking for pallets I saw these same people behind a big box store with a keg in the back of a pickup laughing and joking around.

Charlie

Shawn G said:
I own my home ( well me and the bank) and I'm using my Fiskars for all my splitting. Hmmmm. CL scam perhaps?? I'm all for helping the less fortunate, could be anyone of us next week, but there are those who prey of the good intensions of others to make there living.

Shawn, Just wanted to say "Nice Signature" :cheese:

You speak the truth! Could be any of us.

Many have addiction issues and would rather have a fix - than food. So I rarely put money in the cup. A news channel in WDC followed a few pan handlers and at the end of the day, this one lady got into a VW passat. When they questioned her, she confessed she made $ 65,000 a year pan handling as her job. She was living pretty good.

basswidow said:
Many have addiction issues and would rather have a fix - than food. So I rarely put money in the cup. A news channel in WDC followed a few pan handlers and at the end of the day, this one lady got into a VW passat. When they questioned her, she confessed she made $ 65,000 a year pan handling as her job. She was living pretty good.

Yeah years ago 20/20 or 60 Minutes followed processional pan handlers around the Streets of I believe Toronto,Canada.

At the end of the day one of the guys drove of in a Cadillac.

can't I just donate an 8lb maul to the YMCA or something? why do the homeless get easy firewood?

This is how it works: You loan the homeless your log splitter. One of them gets hurt using it. They sue you and end up owning your house. The good news is that next year you borrow someones log splitter and.........

Hiram Maxim said:
Shawn G said:

Shawn, Just wanted to say "Nice Signature" :cheese:

You speak the truth! Could be any of us.

Thanks Hiram

Status
Not open for further replies.