Is it necessary?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jjm457

Jan 10, 2012
SW Virginia
Hello all, just started burning last year (regency i1200 wood insert), and was wondering, if I started with everything new (insert and liner) and burned on and off Dec through let's say March, is it necessary to have the liner completely cleaned already? I know I had good hot fires, and no visible smoke outside, but really didn't use it a ton. I don't do any overnight fires at all either.

I'm inquiring because I really would like to wait til next year for money purposes to have it cleaned. Also, I had to have an offset from top of insert to liner...does that make it more difficult if I were to try cleaning it on my own?
Thanks in advance.

Joe

I would.

First year burners usually have less than optimal wood supply. Usually means more build up in the liner.

Reactions: ScotO
Hello all, just started burning last year (regency i1200 wood insert), and was wondering, if I started with everything new (insert and liner) and burned on and off Dec through let's say March, is it necessary to have the liner completely cleaned already? I know I had good hot fires, and no visible smoke outside, but really didn't use it a ton. I don't do any overnight fires at all either.

I'm inquiring because I really would like to wait til next year for money purposes to have it cleaned. Also, I had to have an offset from top of insert to liner...does that make it more difficult if I were to try cleaning it on my own?
Thanks in advance.

Joe

Get the "soot eater" and do it yourself....takes 15 minutes.....Get it on Amazon...

My own opinion . . . you're probably good . . . but being the type of person I am and in the profession I am in . . . I like to err on the side of caution and at least check things out . . . or as James02 mentioned . . . buy the equipment and save in the long run (and buy some peace of mind at the same time.)

I agree with Jake your probably ok but check it anyways, if you dont you will be thinking about it in the back of your mind so just check it and be sure.

I don't care how much experience I have at burning wood (and I have been doing it for YEARS), I am going to clean my flue before my first fire of the fall. And I cleaned it after my last fire in the spring. You never know, something may have built a nest in that flue, and I am not taking chances with my home and the safety of my family. Make it a habit to clean/check your flue regularly no matter HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE you have.

IF your offset box has the open access on the front to vacuum out the crap that drops down from doing at top down cleaning then it is not that bad if you can get to it. If it does not have this then you will have to pull the insert and remove the box to get a good cleaning done.

I don't care how much experience I have at burning wood (and I have been doing it for YEARS), I am going to clean my flue before my first fire of the fall. And I cleaned it after my last fire in the spring. You never know, something may have built a nest in that flue, and I am not taking chances with my home and the safety of my family. Make it a habit to clean/check your flue regularly no matter HOW MUCH EXPERIENCE you have.

Well said Scotty!

As a first year burner I would recommend that you DO. It is very telling. It can either confirm or deny your take on how well you did as a burner. You think you did well as a first year burner (and probably did), but if a gallon of creosote came from your liner - it would confirm that you didn't. And visa-versa.

Berry-berry good learn'in opportunity.

I sweep my own, yet every few years will call in a pro for an inspection and a second set of eyes on the setup.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Joe, one thing which would help to determine how the chimney might look is to know what kind of wood you burned. Then one really needs to know when that wood was cut to stove length, split and then stacked out in the wind to dry properly. It is rare for any wood to be ready to burn in less than a year...after it has been split and stacked. Wood just won't dry worth a hoot until it has been split. Then it needs to be stacked outdoors, not in a shed or basement. The time to move it inside is after it has dried. Do you cut your own wood? Do you buy it? If you do buy it, no doubt the seller has said it is "seasoned" and ready to burn. Those words mean nothing. Find out when it was split (usually just before it is delivered) and what kind of wood it is. Beware of oak. It is indeed one of the very best firewoods, however, it gives up its moisture very slowly. We won't burn oak in our home until it has been split and stacked 3 years!

Now for the cleaning. Is it worth taking a chance? One must realize a chimney fire and possible house fire is possible if the chimney has creosote. Is it worth taking that chance? As some said, you could buy a soot eater and do it yourself or even the standard chimney brush.

Good luck.

Yup, It is necessary.

Consider it to be one of the downfalls of burning wood. More maintenance is needed. I pull the bottom plug on my stack every 3 weeks during the burning season and check to see how we are doing. If I need to clean it, then I do. Period.

I will not be lighting a fire until I clean it again and go over the stove and stovepipe, either.

I agree with the Soot Eater recommendation.... Pretty easy to do yourself. You may find an air leak near the collar or offset box and get a chance to seal a creosote making machine.

I found a good air leak when I did a full breakdown at the end of last season. I never looked up into the Thimble, just cleaned my internal vert amd horizontal section. Never shined a light..... The rest of the stack looked good, except the top couple feet.. That one little leak made a "Chunck" of Sote.

For what its worth a cleaning/inspect is well worth it. For you and your families safety.

Thank you all, some very wise members here. As most have mentioned, better safe than sorry, I appreciate the feedback.
When you're new at something, there's nothing like having some seasoned pros for guidance.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You can't go wrong with cleaning it.
My stove gives some signs when the chimney needs to be cleaned. It burns a bit different and starts to puff a little smoke out the door on reloads.

Said perfectly!
Last year was my first time and I had little smoke etc. and still got a pail full the two times I bushed it. I'm sure the wood wasn't perfect but it will be this year!
Besides, firefighters work hard enough.

I see all these recommendations for a soot eater knowing full well this guy has an offset box, is it that flexible that it can make that turn doing a bottom up cleaning? I just don't want this guy misled.

Picture of an offset box with front clean out for doing a top down cleaning as I mentioned in my previous post:

yhst-95622685483394_2225_1303550557

Picture of a regular offset box:
offset-box-jpg.53245

I see all these recommendations for a soot eater knowing full well this guy has an offset box, is it that flexible that it can make that turn doing a bottom up cleaning? I just don't want this guy misled.

Picture of an offset box with front clean out for doing a top down cleaning as I mentioned in my previous post:

yhst-95622685483394_2225_1303550557

Picture of a regular offset box:
offset-box-jpg.53245

Doesn't have to be bottom up cleaning? Can always go top down. . . .

Soot-Eater is one of the easiest and smartest tools a burner could own. . IMHO

is the soot eater made in usa?

Nope. Made in Chine. Works well.

thats too bad unlikely i'll buy it. Be American Buy American It Matters

thats too bad unlikely i'll buy it. Be American Buy American It Matters

Then don't buy a Chevy, since a lot of parts and engines come from Mexico, China, Canada, and elsewhere. Your Jonsered chainsaws are from a Swedish company. Echo is Japanese owned.

Then don't buy a Chevy, since a lot of parts and engines come from Mexico, China, Canada, and elsewhere. Your Jonsered chainsaws are from a Swedish company. Echo is Japanese owned.

Yep Toyota is Tundra is more made in the U.S. than a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge.

I was waiting for that and you are correct. I owned most of these items for longer than I have been pretty diehard about buying american made products. I do make exceptions if certain foreign products are superior in quality or the american equivalent is way beyond my price range.

I was waiting for that and you are correct. I owned most of these items for longer than I have been pretty diehard about buying american made products. I do make exceptions if certain foreign products are superior in quality or the american equivalent is way beyond my price range.
Nothing wrong with that.

hey the only way to bail ourselves out is to bail ourselves out

Reactions: DexterDay
Status
Not open for further replies.