Is it OK to place foam insulation board against exterior brick?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
Thanks to the advice I've received here, I am going to insulate the interior of my block and brick home by first putting up some foam board on the interior walls, and then building new 2x4 walls filled with fiberglass insulation. One wall of my house, however, is shared with the garage. Since the garage use to be a carport, the brick is exposed on the garage side. To save space in the living area adjacent to the garage, I thought I would insulate the garage side. That is, I thought I would place foam board against the garage brick, followed by a 2x4 wall with insulation in the garage. This is the same procedure that I will follow for the interior, except in this case it will be inside the garage and the foam will be against brick instead of a smooth plaster wall. Anyone see any problems with doing this?

It should work, though perhaps a bit overkill for the garage wall if the garage is now completely enclosed. How about going with a 2x6 wall on the garage side and then filling it with fiberglass (or a foam fiberglass combo). Be sure to caulk the edges well.

Good idea with caulking all the edges. I didn't think placing foam against the brick would be a problem--I just wasn't sure because of the gaps from the mortar joints. I imagine that if everything is sealed real well along the perimeter, then there shouldn't be any problems. Thanks.

BeGreen said:
It should work, though perhaps a bit overkill for the garage wall if the garage is now completely enclosed. How about going with a 2x6 wall on the garage side and then filling it with fiberglass (or a foam fiberglass combo). Be sure to caulk the edges well.

Status
Not open for further replies.