Is it OK to use 5.5" liner with 6" stove collar. Dealer said no. Please help. Jotul Oslo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
there are a couple people on here running 5.5" liners to help address too much draft in a long chimney (just not sure if any of them are on Oslos).

A 6" pipe will slide directly over the 5.5" liner. Yes it will work and then you put the crimped end of the pipe in the stove. My 5.5 liner comes out of my wall thimble and then I slide a 6" pipe over that. Put refactory cement all around the liner first and then four screws through the 6" pipe into the liner and then cemented it into the thimble. Then put a 90 degree elbow on and down to the stove all 6".

My liner is also about 24' long so install a dampener as the with my install the 5.5 drafts like crazy.

Works for me. I couldn't get a 6" down my chimney, so instead of busting out the clay tiles or ovalizing the 6", I opted for 22' of 5.5" flex. Sometimes draft is too strong, had to install a pipe damper to slow her down.

My issue is a 6.5" clay liner in the chimney that is not perfectly stacked. I'm worried that if I buy a 6" liner it won't go down the "hole" without hitting protruding clay liner edges or liner cement. I'm hoping the 5.5" will go down better.

So, I run the 5.5" liner down and through the damper into fireplace. Then connect liner to 6" dia T-connector and cement up as noted above and screw together. T-connect goes into stove collar which is 6". Does this sound right?

exactly what I did except mine comes out of a wall thimble. Same idea. 6" over the liner. Just make sure to coat the liner area that will be covered by the 6" pipe with refactory cement for a good seal and screw it. Just do not plan on removing the pipe from the liner very easily. It can be done though with patience.

Tell the liner vendor that you want the tee to fit the 5.5 liner but a snout on it that fits a six inch pipe.

BrotherBart said:
Tell the liner vendor that you want the tee to fit the 5.5 liner but a snout on it that fits a six inch pipe.

The snout will most liklely fit over the 5.5 as it will be 6" at least that was the way mine was. There is no such 5.5 stove pipe the way I understood it since a 6" will slide over the liner so it keeps the right inside fitting configuration so nothing can spill out of the pipe like creosote if it were the other way around.

struggle said:
BrotherBart said:

The snout will most liklely fit over the 5.5 as it will be 6" at least that was the way mine was. There is no such 5.5 stove pipe the way I understood it since a 6" will slide over the liner so it keeps the right inside fitting configuration so nothing can spill out of the pipe like creosote if it were the other way around.

Nothing to do with 5.5 stovepipe. The liner is 5.5 and using the snout for six inch lets you use 6" pipe through the thimble to connect to the snout and for connection to the stove. There is a 5.5 flex liner tee with 6" snout sitting here on my workbench.

In fact I have never seen a 5.5 tee that didn't have a six inch snout on it. Specifically because of the lack of 5.5" connector pipe.

BrotherBart said:
struggle said:
BrotherBart said:

Nothing to do with 5.5 stovepipe. The liner is 5.5 and using the snout for six inch lets you use 6" pipe through the thimble to connect to the snout and for connection to the stove. There is a 5.5 flex liner tee with 6" snout sitting here on my workbench.

In fact I have never seen a 5.5 tee that didn't have a six inch snout on it. Specifically because of the lack of 5.5" connector pipe.

I might have typed that wrong I should have put a 6" will fit over the 5.5 liner correctly like you stated BB

Status
Not open for further replies.