Is it possible to add a temperature based switch to a blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Wallace

Burning Hunk
Jan 20, 2013
Shoreline, WA
I've got an Englander 13-NCI in my basement. I didn't realize until after I got it last winter that the blower is manually controlled. I don't run that stove nearly as often as the Pacific Energy Super upstairs (which has an automatic blower that comes on when the stove warms up).

I'd like to be able to install some kind of temperature sensor on the power cord for the blower that will automatically turn it on when the stove warms up. Is this possible? If so, what do I need to do this?

I've got an Englander 13-NCI in my basement. I didn't realize until after I got it last winter that the blower is manually controlled. I don't run that stove nearly as often as the Pacific Energy Super upstairs (which has an automatic blower that comes on when the stove warms up).

I'd like to be able to install some kind of temperature sensor on the power cord for the blower that will automatically turn it on when the stove warms up. Is this possible? If so, what do I need to do this?
You need a drier thermostat. 150 degrees or so. Basically you put it inline to the power wireless the fan, so that it opens when the stove is cool. They are about $15 or so, depending where you get them. Insulate your terminals. This one site on the back of the stove but it was moved to the side for a photo opertunity.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 602
Drolet makes a kit to add a thermo switch, plug n play I believe # AC02055
I bet others make em too. Or as electrathon said, simple snap switch and some wire...

Thanks all for the recommendations. How do you affix a thermodisc or thermostat to a stove? I assume there must be a magnet to hold it to the stove, but haven't seen any reference to one. I see that the Stovestat has a magnet to hold it to the stove, but it's quite a bit more expensive than the other options. I'm perfectly comfortable with doing the wiring for a thermostat, just not sure how to attach it to the stove.

The Stove Stat has a magnet. I've had two over the years. They last. Sixty bucks is too much? I guess.

How do you affix a thermodisc or thermostat to a stove?
Drill and tap two small holes, use nuts for spacers, make sure the center of the disc touches the stove, bolt it to the side.

The Stove Stat has a magnet. I've had two over the years. They last. Sixty bucks is too much? I guess.

Some of the drier thermostats I've seen are around $8. If those would work just as well, I'd rather explore those options.

proper sized drill and a pair of self tapping sheet metal screws - more importantly is where you mount it- preferably not behind the fire brick liners

proper sized drill and a pair of self tapping sheet metal screws - more importantly is where you mount it- preferably not behind the fire brick liners

I assume it should be mounted to the top of the stove, is that correct? I found a video on YouTube demonstrating the installation of one.

The video shows the thermodisc being mounted, then a protective metal cover (like a junction box) with flexible metal conduit attached is installed covering the thermodisc. I think the Drolet thermodisc linked in a previous comment comes with similar mounting equipment, though probably not the flexible metal conduit.

No need to be on top, but not behind the fire bricks. Be alert for a hotter area and mount it there. The metal conduit is a poor idea. It will work as a heat sink and cook the wiring. Better to use some flex cord and hang it so that it does not touch the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.