Is it possible to check how much of the oil I get?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

4dimad

Jul 4, 2008
MA
Is there a guarantee that the oil-truck meters are accurate? Are they inspected? I am always getting oil when nobody is at home and have to trust the guy who is just leaving an invoice with a number of gallons. I want to make sure he delivers exactly as much fuel as he promises. Also, are there any special meter I can install on my tank?
Thanks!

4dimad said:
Is there a guarantee that the oil-truck meters are accurate? Are they inspected? I am always getting oil when nobody is at home and have to trust the guy who is just leaving an invoice with a number of gallons. I want to make sure he delivers exactly as much fuel as he promises. Also, are there any special meter I can install on my tank?
Thanks!
You can (stick the tank) Which simply means you open the big plug in the top of the tank and insert a stick into the tank to check the levels before and after a fill. The stick is divided up with marks spaced apart a certain amount based on the size of the tank you have. You can tell how many gallons you got by how far up the stick the level is. I don't have the numbers handy and would have to hunt them down. Someone else will more than likely know them. It's pretty fool proof. I caught a few cheaters over the years.

bostonbaked said:
4dimad said:
Thanks!
You can (stick the tank) Which simply means you open the big plug in the top of the tank and insert a stick into the tank to check the levels before and after a fill. The stick is divided up with marks spaced apart a certain amount based on the size of the tank you have. You can tell how many gallons you got by how far up the stick the level is. I don't have the numbers handy and would have to hunt them down. Someone else will more than likely know them. It's pretty fool proof. I caught a few cheaters over the years.

You would have to measure it EVERYDAY before you left since you do not know when they are going to show up.

Unless your oil delivery company is a gypsy company, you'll be fine.

I doubt you would have any recourse with your stick measurement anyway :eek:hh:

4dimad said:
OK, how to make this stick? I have regular tank with rounded top/bottom. Thanks!
Sorry I took so long, been busy. Here is a link to the amounts in gallons vs. inches. http://www.huskyheatingoil.com/docs/chart_275.pdf I always call for oil and never get automatic deliveries. I buy in even amounts 100, 150,gallons etc. and rarely get fill-ups. I never get shorted that way. Yes, some do try, just like anything else. With prices this high someone always finds an angle.

.[/quote]
I doubt you would have any recourse with your stick measurement anyway :eek:hh:[/quote] I have caught three companies cheat me over the last fifeteen years. I get the owner over to my house show him how I stick my tank. He agrees it is foolproof. He then goes into his wallet and pays me on the spot. He usually goes away wondering how much the driver is also screwing him for. The company I deal with now had a driver short me. He don't work there any more so I still do buisiness with them, but I check them every time.

So a dishonest driver could short a bunch of people all day and pump the free oil in their own tank or sell to others. Not a good thought.
Will

bostonbaked said:
4dimad said:
OK, how to make this stick? I have regular tank with rounded top/bottom. Thanks!
Sorry I took so long, been busy. Here is a link to the amounts in gallons vs. inches. http://www.huskyheatingoil.com/docs/chart_275.pdf I always call for oil and never get automatic deliveries. I buy in even amounts 100, 150,gallons etc. and rarely get fill-ups. I never get shorted that way. Yes, some do try, just like anything else. With prices this high someone always finds an angle.

good for you, and thank you for the info.

I have a "stick" from the 1950s hung from the joists of my cellar as a souveneir from a prior owner from the days before "automatic delivery" was the norm; unfortunately, it was calibrated to a taller and skinnier tank that used to be here when I bought the place in the '90s (and that was clearly corroded to within a short time of bursting before I replaced it, given the way that the whole outside was coated with "weeped" but not dripping oil)

It's time to start fighting back against the people who are shamelessly and transparently trying to shaft us all on energy costs.

Getting away from fossil/ commercial energy sources is part of it, making sure we're not unduly and shamelessly exploited in the mean time is the other part of it.

see info about my battles with absentee corporate-takeover, deal-changing propane greed mongers at
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22857/

pybyr said:
bostonbaked said:
4dimad said:

good for you, and thank you for the info.

I have a "stick" from the 1950s hung from the joists of my cellar as a souveneir from a prior owner from the days before "automatic delivery" was the norm; unfortunately, it was calibrated to a taller and skinnier tank that used to be here when I bought the place in the '90s (and that was clearly corroded to within a short time of bursting before I replaced it, given the way that the whole outside was coated with "weeped" but not dripping oil)

It's time to start fighting back against the people who are shamelessly and transparently trying to shaft us all on energy costs.

Getting away from fossil/ commercial energy sources is part of it, making sure we're not unduly and shamelessly exploited in the mean time is the other part of it.

see info about my battles with absentee corporate-takeover, deal-changing propane greed mongers at
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/22857/
Your welcome. I'm not very trusting these days. You have to be aware when 200 gallons of anything hits $700 plus dollars. It brings out the greed in some.

Status
Not open for further replies.