Is it possible to put a T-Stat on a 5502m Pellet Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lordgalla

Oct 26, 2014
North Adams,MA.
Hi all,
I notice there is a T-stat on the United States Stove company parts section.Is this 5502m Pellet stove capable of having a T-stat put on it? If so how would it work? Would it shut down when it got to temperature in the room,and then restart when calling for heat? If this is how it would work,what about the adding pellets at the shutdown thing,and adding more pellets when starting, then has to many pellets? I know it's a mouth full,but someone must know something about this stove.The manual is useless,and the company does not answer emails.Thankyou to anyone who can help me on all of this .

I have no insight on your particular stove but heres how mine works. When the room reaches the set temperature, the stove will go into a very low burn state just enough to keep a flame going. When the thermostat calls for heat again, the stove returns to is previous burn level. If the stove stays in its low state for more than an hour, it will shut down completely then restart once the thermostat calls for heat again.

Im not quite sure I understand your question about adding pellets but you can refill the hopper whenever you need whether the stove is on or off.

I have no insight on your particular stove but heres how mine works. When the room reaches the set temperature, the stove will go into a very low burn state just enough to keep a flame going. When the thermostat calls for heat again, the stove returns to is previous burn level. If the stove stays in its low state for more than an hour, it will shut down completely then restart once the thermostat calls for heat again.

Im not quite sure I understand your question about adding pellets but you can refill the hopper whenever you need whether the stove is on or off.

Hi there,
It adds pellets to the burn pot inside the door on shutdown,and then adds pellets to the burn pot again,when it starts up again.Resulting in to many pellets in the pot on start up.At least I think so anyway?

When it's shutting down, pellets should no longer feed

I cant speak specifically for your stove but it sounds odd.

It goes though a purge during shutdown. Once it gets below operating temp it will purge pellets in the auger tube to help prevent burnback. The cycle is 15mins. If during that cycle the feed (glass) door is opened the 15 min cycle will reset. As far as lifting the hopper lid to stop this. I would rather see you do it during start up then shutdown as the purge is a safety feature. Having the burn pot round 3/4 fill during start up is quite OK.
As far as the thermostat. The Thermostat recommended is a millivolt one. Connect the leads to the two post on the control board labeled T-Stat. The attached should help.
As far as operation; when the thermostat calls for heat the unit will ramp up to what ever preset HR it was on, when the thermostat is satisfied it will lower to the lowest setting and maintain a fire until the thermostat calls for heat again.

Attachments

• Thermostat hook 4 digit.jpg
    Thermostat hook 4 digit.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 3,473
Reactions: Johnny_Fiv3
Can a wireless thermostat be used? Running the wire to my stove may not be feasible due to it's location.

Can a wireless thermostat be used? Running the wire to my stove may not be feasible due to it's location.

If your stove is capable of running on an external thermostat, it will work equally well either wired or wireless.

Thanks Tim. I wasn't sure if there was a difference or not since I've always used hard wired t-stats on my furnaces.

Reactions: Owen1508
It goes though a purge during shutdown. Once it gets below operating temp it will purge pellets in the auger tube to help prevent burnback. The cycle is 15mins. If during that cycle the feed (glass) door is opened the 15 min cycle will reset. As far as lifting the hopper lid to stop this. I would rather see you do it during start up then shutdown as the purge is a safety feature. Having the burn pot round 3/4 fill during start up is quite OK.
As far as the thermostat. The Thermostat recommended is a millivolt one. Connect the leads to the two post on the control board labeled T-Stat. The attached should help.
As far as operation; when the thermostat calls for heat the unit will ramp up to what ever preset HR it was on, when the thermostat is satisfied it will lower to the lowest setting and maintain a fire until the thermostat calls for heat again.

thankyou,for the great info. If I am running the stove on heat range 1 all the time,will the stove shut down when t-stat is up to temp,and then restart when calling for heat? or does it just ramp down to 1 and stay on continuously?

thankyou,for the great info. If I am running the stove on heat range 1 all the time,will the stove shut down when t-stat is up to temp,and then restart when calling for heat? or does it just ramp down to 1 and stay on continuously?
Just ramp down to one

The ramping down to HR-1 and staying lit is why in the coldest room I have (master bedroom/bathroom area) I installed a second t-stat that fires the blower on my furnace. The pellet stove t-stat is in the living room which is kitty-corner across the house from the pellet stove. I set it to 72°F and once the room drops below that, the stove ramps up. The bedroom t-stat is set to 68°F and once it drops below that, the furnace blower kicks on mixing the air around in the house. I find that this helps keep that air mixed and eliminates the cold air feeling near the floor. My house is a drafty 1800's job so mixing that cold air with the warmer air makes a big difference in how warm the house feels. Also the living room may be at 72°F with the stove on HR-1, but the bedroom may drop due to the layout of the house. I am seriously considering an OAK now though let me tell you. The stove did however greatly assist in chasing down drafts and sealing them up!

EDIT: Once the t-stat is hooked up the HR setting doesn't matter. Removing that jumper makes it so it just listens to the call for heat. The stove will do whatever it needs to in order to answer that call and then ramp down to HR-1 once there.

The ramping down to HR-1 and staying lit is why in the coldest room I have (master bedroom/bathroom area) I installed a second t-stat that fires the blower on my furnace. The pellet stove t-stat is in the living room which is kitty-corner across the house from the pellet stove. I set it to 72°F and once the room drops below that, the stove ramps up. The bedroom t-stat is set to 68°F and once it drops below that, the furnace blower kicks on mixing the air around in the house. I find that this helps keep that air mixed and eliminates the cold air feeling near the floor. My house is a drafty 1800's job so mixing that cold air with the warmer air makes a big difference in how warm the house feels. Also the living room may be at 72°F with the stove on HR-1, but the bedroom may drop due to the layout of the house. I am seriously considering an OAK now though let me tell you. The stove did however greatly assist in chasing down drafts and sealing them up!

An OAK will help that as well. By not using the heated air in the house for combustion and then sending it out the vent pipe, it will slow some of the leaky drafts.

LOL oh I know that now! Looks like it's going to be spring before I can afford to do that however. So, for now, I will weather strip, caulk, foam, stuff insulation, etc, etc.

My OAK kit cost $50 and I installed it myself in a couple hours.

Which one was it. I see several online, but not sure which one to get...

That one will work no issues with my stove. What I am trying to see is does that kit come with the interior wall plate as well?

That one will work no issues with my stove. What I am trying to see is does that kit come with the interior wall plate as well?

Yes it does. Here are a few photos of mine.

Outside view:

2014-08-17_16-42-23_350.jpg

Inside view. You can see the wall plate.

2014-08-17_16-41-29_312.jpg

Inside view with OAK pipe insulated.

17201b839ba06c76d0863343b384f3a8.jpg

Thank you so much!

What did you use to cut the hole in through the wall? Just a hole saw on a drill?

Thank you so much!

What did you use to cut the hole in through the wall? Just a hole saw on a drill?

Yes, and a dremel tool to cut away the siding underneath the exterior face place and a little bit of silicone to make it all weather tight.

3" hole saw?

Sorry for all the questions, but I think I may do this sooner than later since this kit is much cheaper than what I was expecting

Status
Not open for further replies.