is it possible to run a splitter on k type thermocouple?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dirk_411

Dec 30, 2015
canada
Just wondering if it's possible to run two monitoring devices off of one thermocoupler in my case a 4" probe for the double wall. Can you spilt the thermocoupler and have two male connectors. That would be the cats meow if I could have the AT210-COMBO and the heater meter from auber. Have the best of both worlds. Nice LCD display at fireplace and upstairs with the AT210-COMBO and network app monitoring with the heater meter for instances when I'm outside or when I'm at work and wife is home with baby. Its particularly easy for here to get into over burn when she is restoking the mid day fires because she can get distracted by the baby. Only takes a matter of minutes to soar into over burn. Call me paranoid but fire and water can destroy everything you own in minutes. Seen it happen unfortunately

Just wondering if it's possible to run two monitoring devices off of one thermocoupler in my case a 4" probe for the double wall. Can you spilt the thermocoupler and have two male connectors. That would be the cats meow if I could have the AT210-COMBO and the heater meter from auber. Have the best of both worlds. Nice LCD display at fireplace and upstairs with the AT210-COMBO and network app monitoring with the heater meter for instances when I'm outside or when I'm at work and wife is home with baby. Its particularly easy for here to get into over burn when she is restoking the mid day fires because she can get distracted by the baby. Only takes a matter of minutes to soar into over burn. Call me paranoid but fire and water can destroy everything you own in minutes. Seen it happen unfortunately

I'm inclined to say you can because I went into the FAQ'S on auber Web site and under temp sensors it says you can extend the thermocouple wire with similar wire and even tells you about splicing them. I can't see how there would be any conflicting temperature readings, it's one probe feeding thermocouple wire. I may talk to tech support and see if they can make me a custom thermocouple harness. I imagine some of you may wonder how this would look down stairs at my stove area? What I'm thinking is if this works, Id have the at210 mounted nicely on the wall in plain view of the sitting area. I already have the ac power about 1' behind stove out of sight. I'm currently doing a reno to add stone back splash 4' floor to ceiling. I have cement board all screwed on. Now would be the time where I could run wires discretely behind the wall and out of sight. I would run them in such a manner the if my ac power supply (for example) chit the bed it could easily be pulled out and a fish string pulled in at same time to pull in new wire. I'd likely keep the heater meter hid out of sight down around power supply. Since I'm using the AT210-COMBO for more esthetic purposes.

Reactions: Squisher
I'm inclined to say you can because I went into the FAQ'S on auber Web site and under temp sensors it says you can extend the thermocouple wire with similar wire and even tells you about splicing them. I can't see how there would be any conflicting temperature readings, it's one probe feeding thermocouple wire. I may talk to tech support and see if they can make me a custom thermocouple harness. I imagine some of you may wonder how this would look down stairs at my stove area? What I'm thinking is if this works, Id have the at210 mounted nicely on the wall in plain view of the sitting area. I already have the ac power about 1' behind stove out of sight. I'm currently doing a reno to add stone back splash 4' floor to ceiling. I have cement board all screwed on. Now would be the time where I could run wires discretely behind the wall and out of sight. I would run them in such a manner the if my ac power supply (for example) chit the bed it could easily be pulled out and a fish string pulled in at same time to pull in new wire. I'd likely keep the heater meter hid out of sight down around power supply. Since I'm using the AT210-COMBO for more esthetic purposes.

Anyone know for certain?

I don't have any info to add other than I've been very interested in this setup that you are pursuing and would very much appreciate if you're able to update what exactly you had to order to set this up when you get it sorted. Seems like where you're going with this will be a very nice setup that I would like to mimic. Basement stove here too and I'd love to be able to check in by phone app to monitor how my wife is burning. I'd drive her nuts. Lol.

Well yes and no... there are several ways you can do it... each has pros / cons.

If you really want a 'splitter', you can get one for about $260 which will take the TC input and output multiple 4-20mA signals which could be read by multiple displays. http://datexelusa.com/DAT4631A_Isolated_Doubler_Dual_Converter_Thermocouple_mV.html. You'd probably need to get 4-20mA meters instead of actual TC meters to go with it.

For a bit less you could find a 'dual element' probe - this would actually be two TC elements packaged in one probe. You'd simply hook up one element to each meter and away you go.

Third on the list would be to install two probes and two meters. You could likely find those surplus or ebay, so a bit cheaper, still.

Fourth, you might look at the meter / display you have now. Does it have any option for secondary output? Sometimes they do. If not, you might find one that does and simply mirror the output of the main display to a secondary display.

Finally, you could simply try running TC extension wire from the meter you have now to the second display. This would essentially be your 'splitter'. Running two displays off the same TC isn't the technically 'advisable' way to do it - but if the displays are relatively high impedance and you can live with maybe +/- 10 degrees accuracy vs +/- 0.1, it could work.

Well yes and no... there are several ways you can do it... each has pros / cons.

If you really want a 'splitter', you can get one for about $260 which will take the TC input and output multiple 4-20mA signals which could be read by multiple displays. http://datexelusa.com/DAT4631A_Isolated_Doubler_Dual_Converter_Thermocouple_mV.html. You'd probably need to get 4-20mA meters instead of actual TC meters to go with it.

For a bit less you could find a 'dual element' probe - this would actually be two TC elements packaged in one probe. You'd simply hook up one element to each meter and away you go.

Third on the list would be to install two probes and two meters. You could likely find those surplus or ebay, so a bit cheaper, still.

Fourth, you might look at the meter / display you have now. Does it have any option for secondary output? Sometimes they do. If not, you might find one that does and simply mirror the output of the main display to a secondary display.

Finally, you could simply try running TC extension wire from the meter you have now to the second display. This would essentially be your 'splitter'. Running two displays off the same TC isn't the technically 'advisable' way to do it - but if the displays are relatively high impedance and you can live with maybe +/- 10 degrees accuracy vs +/- 0.1, it could work.
Thanks Corey. I'm exploring the options you have presented

Thanks for the response. I have another question. Can you run the auber thermocouple wire behind dry wall? It says it's fiberglass insulated with SS cover, 900°F rated. 4" probe sensor. What do ya think? Just setting here with good burn going looking at how I can mount the dual aubers and keep things hid and tidy for wife. Also looks like the wife wants a kid Co gate for the new family, a 7 month boy and prego 2.5 months

I don't know why you couldn't. At most it would have a few millivolts on it, so not like it would short out and cause a fire. Plus, the TC wire is 'solid core' ...just like Romex so it likes to be laid out once and left alone, as opposed to stranded wire like an extension cord - which can withstand multiple bend/straighten/bend cycles. Worst case, if anyone asks, just tell them it's doorbell or thermostat wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.