Is it safe to....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

trobb

Nov 24, 2009
N.Ky.
clean your glass while it's hot.

Obvisiouly I would cool the stove down the the lowest possible temp, but the glass would still be hot to the touch.

Reason I ask such a silly question...I have an old school bottom feed stove and once you turn if off it takes foever to

stop smoldering, thus my basement would cool of considerably.

I know if you hit a mason jar with some cold tap water after canning it will break...just wondering if the same
theroy applies.

trobb said:

Obvisiouly I would cool the stove down the the lowest possible temp, but the glass would still be hot to the touch.

Reason I ask such a silly question...I have an old school bottom feed stove and once you turn if off it takes foever to

I know if you hit a mason jar with some cold tap water after canning it will break...just wondering if the same
theroy applies.

I wouldn't spray any liguid on it. You could use a dry cloth, towel or soft brush and wipe it off with no issue's. I never broke any glass and I wouldn't even want to try. I don't think I would risk even a damp cloth with hot glass.

just my 2
jay

trobb said:

theroy applies.

I do a quick 12 second wipe of the glass every day while it's running, DRY paper towel, stove on lowest setting (give it a couple minutes to go down before you open the door). BUT, my manual says to. Check yours.

Generally I use that stove glass cleaner, the blue gritty stuff.
I'd hate to find out the hard way but my glass if pretty much dark brown after 2 days of burning.
It's really no big deal I guess, that clean glass is only for the eye anyway.

trobb said:

Exactly.....IMO, just give the glass a dry wipe while hot, and save the glass cleaner for cool glass when you clean the stove each week. Me, personally, would not want to cause a problem spraying cold chemicals on hot glass.

Save the perfectly clean glass for right before the company comes over.

Just grab a couple of pieces of newspaper, wad them up into a ball
& hold em with a glove on your hand.
Wipe the glass, & you'll be amazed at the results...

i keep a couple old towels around.i fold them up and just give the glass a quick swipe when it gets to the point i can't see the flame.i just rinse them out and let em dry when they get to dirty.works for me.

macman said:
trobb said:

Exactly.....IMO, just give the glass a dry wipe while hot, and save the glass cleaner for cool glass when you clean the stove each week. Me, personally, would not want to cause a problem spraying cold chemicals on hot glass.

Save the perfectly clean glass for right before the company comes over.

yeah, putting chemicals on glass is probably better off when the glass is cool.
gonna give that newspaper trick a whirl though...

Status
Not open for further replies.