Is it time to change my combustor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have FPX large fire hybrid. I see that combustor started to disintegrate a little with biggest damage in a middle where flame hits it when stove is fully stocked. It still glows red in a beginning of the burn, even disintegrated part. I don't have cat temp , so no idea if it holds temperature well. This is my third full time season 24/7 burning in CT. No noticeable change in heat output . But I might be wrong.

BB959C5E-08FE-4957-8712-D134C29ECA02.jpeg 12AC7ABA-F2A7-4976-9C67-33AAAA7EC583.jpeg 9E012ED2-67D7-4E72-AEFC-8CD8773F19C7.jpeg 93AAF565-BF02-4CB7-9EB8-12C982FAABC0.jpeg

I have FPX large fire hybrid. I see that combustor started to disintegrate a little with biggest damage in a middle where flame hits it when stove is fully stocked. It still glows red in a beginning of the burn, even disintegrated part. I don't have cat temp , so no idea if it holds temperature well. This is my third full time season 24/7 burning in CT. No noticeable change in heat output . But I might be wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
You might be ok into finish out the burn season, but my answer would be yes on replacement.

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I would finish the season with it and start with a fresh one next year.

Looks like some cells are plugged up. Physical condition of the ceramic is not important unless it is falling apart. After three years of full time burning you could be past due or you could be just halfway through the expected 10000 to 12000 hours.

Looking at it, I would get a new cat ready but if the current cat is still operating properly I would clean the existing one with a vacuum and use it until it begins failing.

Every hour of burning you get out of the old cat is an hour less you’ve consumed from the new cat.

Reactions: Poindexter