Is it too warm inside ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
I love the wood stove but for some mostly company its too hot in here.It gets to be 80+ near the stove and 70s elsewere and i have no complaints about it but for some others its too hot.How about your home!what do you and others think about all that heat in the winter time! PS cats love it.

If it gets over 74 in here, I've done something wrong. Usually 70-72, 65-68 by morning.

pen

Reactions: jharkin and fox9988
Its usually between 85 and 90 in my house. I don't care if company is too hot or not. This is my house and if they don't like it they can stay home. When they start paying my electric bill, I will let the fire go out and use the heat pump when they come to the house so they will be more comfortable. You really don't want to get me started on this "Company being to hot because they keep there thermostat at 68" stuff:mad:

Never.

Reactions: BrowningBAR
I keep my house at around 76. Anymore than that and I'm uncomfortable in long pants.

I've been spending more time than usual at the outlaws over the holidays, and they set their thermostat on 68 and I almost froze to death.

Its usually between 85 and 90 in my house. I don't care if company is too hot or not. This is my house and if they don't like it they can stay home. When they start paying my electric bill, I will let the fire go out and use the heat pump when they come to the house so they will be more comfortable. You really don't want to get me started on this "Company being to hot because they keep there thermostat at 68" stuff:mad:

Like Like

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Too warm is 2 or 3 degrees over what YOUR WIFE think your house should be. At our house it's normally 72, but that changes quite regularly.
So, 92-93?

Hell, the damn blanket doesn't even come off until chit hits 80 around here.

Reactions: Hearth Mistress
Funny you mention ice cream...having some right now... Sitting watching the fire...wonder what the neighbors are doing...hehehe
I save a lot of money on ice cream during the winter months.

3 for $6 is my favorite. I'll grab two boxes of jumbo ice cream cones and I'm set for the next two weeks.

Reactions: Dairyman
they set their thermostat on 68 and I almost froze to death.
That sounds like abuse and torture. Could be a lawsuit in it for you if you play your cards right!

Reactions: lopiliberty
I hate the heat of summer with a passion, but the steady warmth and low humidity of the stove lets me sit in mid-80's next to the stove without a second thought. The other parts of the house linger around 70 during the day. They feel plenty warm until you get near the stove.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I hate the heat of summer with a passion, but the steady warmth and low humidity of the stove lets me sit in mid-80's next to the stove without a second thought. The other parts of the house linger around 70 during the day. They feel plenty warm until you get near the stove.

I know what you mean. I grew up in sunny california, so even though i have been where i am living now for awhile, i still hate the hot and humid summers...and when i go downstairs to the bedroom it will be about 63 degrees down there which is good sleeping weather for me. But i do feel the difference between the upstairs and the downstairs for the first 5-10 mintues.

I save a lot of money on ice cream during the winter months.

3 for $6 is my favorite. I'll grab two boxes of jumbo ice cream cones and I'm set for the next two weeks.

Yep...plenty of selections of ice cream at the store during a snowstorm!

Yeah it's 77 in my livingroom right now.
Upstairs, the bedrooms are 70. We keep
our bedroom door shut, We like it a little cooler.

72-78 from about 5pm to 2am.

67-70 all other times. The Tstat for my secondary heater is set to 63.

When company is here we start out in the family room with beverages and as the temp comes up we move to the kitchen table to drink and bullshit. By the time the joint is getting to 80 down there from the night load it is time to go up to the 70+ bedrooms and go to bed. Under a sheet. We don't do quilts here in the tropics even in the teens or lower.

While I come back down in skivvies for a cold beer and to check on hearth.com and set up the coffee pot.

On one end of my house it stays in the 80's very easy but the other end is in the 60's not by choice but i think i need to investigate that.

We don't do quilts here in the tropics even in the teens or lower

Same here, but I don't even use a sheet but there at the bottom of the bed if I need them which almost non existent

Just depends. Strange things happen in our house burning wood. First is as it gets colder outside it gets warmer in the house. Started the season a month ago at 68-70. now its up to 72-74 in here. By the end of January it will most likely be up 76-78 or so. It's already bad enough that the holidays were like being tortured going to the families houses. At the third stop we finally got to the inlaws with a woodstove only to pull up a see a smoke trail out of the chimney. Then we go inside to find the house about 60*, the poor stove at 200*, black glass that until I saw a glow swore there was no fire in it. Of course next to the stove is a huge box full of red oak that is just beautiful, like as in was probably cut fresh and split last week beautiful. This actually made my xmas as my wife was freezing her rear off, then proceeds to go over to her uncle and chews his rear out about how to season wood, run the stove, etc.;lol

Holy heck!

I'd have to keep a towel handy to wipe off sweat if I visited a few of you guys! (don't imagine you'd want me stripping down to just undies anyway!)

Low 70s and no more. It's 78* in here right now and I'm sweating just sitting at the computer.

Reactions: tbuff
We had about a dozen relatives over for Christmas Eve, the whole house was 72 and the stove room was 85. None of them burn wood and I think that at one point or another all of them took a seat near the stove and loved the warmth.

Holy heck!

I'd have to keep a towel handy to wipe off sweat if I visited a few of you guys! (don't imagine you'd want me stripping down to just undies anyway!)

Low 70s and no more. It's 78* in here right now and I'm sweating just sitting at the computer.
You live in alaska. That's to be expected. You're friggin' part polar bear for christ's sake.

The rest of us enjoy warm temps, heated pools, ocean water above freezing, and margaritas with umbrellas. We don't all camp in igloos, damnit! ;lol

Holy heck!

If your name was "Natalie" instead of Nate, I wouldn't mind... J/k, 80's and 90's would be a bit warm for me to.

Status
Not open for further replies.