Is it Used, or Brand New?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

richg

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
I just can't figure this one out...

BRAND NEW 22ton log splitter - $1250 (corning)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-03-03, 10:18PM EST
Reply to: sale-*************************@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

swisher brand wood spliter. purchased fron home depot for over1600 dollars. it has split less then 1 cord of firewood. the paint is just starting to get wore off the frame of the spliter!!! has a 8.75hp briggs & stration. starts on the first pull everytime. will sacrifice at 1250obo. call ****************. pic isnt very good but the maching is 100% like new

•it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

Attachments

• used splitter 1.jpg
    used splitter 1.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 319
  • used splitter 2.jpg
    used splitter 2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 317
It is used, period. Take your money to Tractor Supply and get a 22 Huskee for 999 new. Maybe even work a 10% end of season discount out of the manager.

You can get a brand new Speeco 22t with the B&S 675 motor for about $10 more delivered to your door...or the previously mentioned Huskee for $999 (maybe less 10%) plus tax from Tractor Supply.

I definitely wouldn't pay that asking price for it. I don't think I'd mess with that Swisher unless it's down around $800 *and* you get to test drive it by runnig some knarly crotches through it first. In all fairness it may be "like new" being as some new splitters have had prospective customers test them out with wood they bring to the store. Your pictures are too foggy to really tell much about it except for the scrubbed up cradle/beam.

Best wishes,
Ed

I have the same splitter and I love it, but I got mine on sale new for $999. Shop around. Z

I looked at the swisher at HD here.
My opinion was they were a little overpriced & didn't have the features I was looking for.
Some had a pulley on the engine to the pump (belt drive). I didn't like that either, more to go wrong.
Look under it & see how that is holding up. (Side stress on engine & pump bearings)
Good points in above posts.
I thought the speeco was heavier duty built, & I like the cradle beam to center the rounds & stay in place
with out having to hold onto them. &I like the speeco wedge better & for less $$
(+ for me Speeco is US company)
Don't know about swisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.