Is it worth $40 extra for all hickory?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrob

Nov 17, 2008
Triad/NC
saw this ad:

Seasoned split hardwood mostly oak 1/2 cord $65, 1 cord $120 Delivered, Kindling $5 a bundle. All Hickory 1/2 cord $85, 1 cord $160 Delivered

Would it be worth it to get all hickory, compared to mixed hardwood/mostly oak?
I've been burning all oak so far, in an open fireplace.

Thanks

If you are burning in an open fireplace you are after the ambiance and not the heat. So there's no reason to pay more for the hickory.

hey I still get radiant heat :p

That's kind of along the lines I was thinking, though, that it wouldn't make much of a difference.

Now, with a stove or insert, would it make a difference then?

That would depend on what your using the wood for.
If your using it for heat I would say go with the oak, if you are using it in your smokehouse I would go with the hickory.
Hickory Smoke + ribs = Good Eats

not if the the other chose is oak!

Hickory will give more heat than oak, but not that much! Sad that you don't know what the other wood is besides the "mostly oak."

It is not worth the added high percentage at all!

Oak, and other hardwoods are just fine. Actually, mixed hardwoods will help you.

If it was swamp maple vs hickory in my Oslo, I'd probably pay more. But oak is just as nice........in an open fireplace it doesn't matter, lots of heat loss anyways.

WoodButcher

:cry: i would love to pay 120 a cord csd

heck i am paying 80 a cord now for log length

200 a cord in N.J. Split and delivered. This wood insert was sort of a last minute
thing with me so I am stuck having to buy some. Luckily I had about a cord and 1/2 I had
cut up for my fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.