Is it worth building own splitter? What kind of tonnage to split pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfunk13

Minister of Fire
Sep 11, 2008
Wyoming
I really need to get a log splitter. I've looked into building my own. I would have no problem building the trailer and splitter base from steel i already have.
After figuring out the cost of the motor and ram, its almost as good to buy one ready built. Or am i missing something? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
I have access to a forest of standing dead pine, so thats really all i burn. Do i really need a 25 ton machine? What would you suggest as far as tonnage.

Thanks Alot!
Brad

I don't have a splitter, but I am sure some of the big boys will chime in.
I would say that if you are primarily splitting pine, 25 tons might be a little overkill......if you are splitting 10 cords a year, perhaps not. But if you are splitting 2-3 corrds, I wouldn't think you would need 25 tons......from splitting manually, pine is the easiest to split.
I'm sure others will chime in....good luck.

"After figuring out the cost of the motor and ram, its almost as good to buy one ready built."

Unless you have endless time and can build it somehow better then what's on the market I would just buy one.

Ya, you can get a good splitter for less than $1000 nowadays. I don't think you will need more than about 20 tons or so.

Chris

You build one because you can, because you want to, because you're a good scrounger or have some play money. Not because you have to. People around here will borrow, rent or barter for each others splitters but it is easier and more manly to have your own.
I bought a new one and it wasn't long before I tired of humping blocks up onto it and in the vertical position, I gotta work on my knees (the knees are over a half century of age). I did put the splitter in the vertical position and put it on a trailer, loaded lots of big rounds around it, and had a little fun doing them standing up. Still too much work for me so I built a processor. Now that's something I could never afford to buy.

This is a bit off topic, but I found it was best to find a couple of friends also desiring a splitter and share it three ways. We purchased a nice new 27 ton unit about five years ago and it has worked out great considering that any one of us usually needs it for a few weekends a year, and we all live within about five miles of each other. This arrangement wont be suitable for everyone, but its worth seeing if any friends or neighbors are looking for a splitter as well.

I built mine, but that was because I wasn't gonna shell out the bean pods it was gonna take to get "what I wanted".

Unless you have most of the components (or can scrounge them) go to the store and point at the one you want and tell the clerk "givemeoneofthemtharsplitters" in your best swing blade voice.

For pine, I would guess that a 20+ ton unit would make it happen.

Mine is a home manufactured as I call it, homemade sounds junky. Know idea how many ton but it has an old 20hp engine about 1960's model rebuilt. a 2 stage pump from a trackhoe exavator, a 6" cylinder with a 3 foot ram, and a large fluid tank about 25 gallon. I can tell you that we have not come across anything it won't split. We tested it and it sheared cross cut a 12" piece of cherry. Once we lifted a big butt round left from loggers on to it with a loader and it started to buckel the 14" H beam it is built on then the piece split with a thundering bang, scared the hell out of me. We are very conservative with what we put on it now. I know there is nothing on the retail market that will compare. Building your own is part of the mystic of it all.

20-27 tons will work on anything i have ever split!

Thanks fellas!

Brad

Brad,

I was thinking about this last evening. If you do decide to build your own a few things to keep fore most in mind. A good two stage pump and as large a hydraulic fluid tank as possible. Large tanks keep the fluid cooler and cooler fluid = more POWER, a two stage pump does not give up when the going gets tough. Also as heavy steel as you can scrounge The permenant splitting wedge needs heavy duty support or it will tear easily. High speed spindles and tires so you can tow it verses loading in the truck. Good luck but most of all have FUN.

Eastern White Pine splits real easy until you hit a knot.

I've been tempted to cut the branch section out with a saw while cutting the tree, little 1 or 2 inch rounds. :)
I try to aim between the knots.

Status
Not open for further replies.