Is it worth getting a blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I just had an Avalon Rainier (1.8 c.f.) installed as a hearth heater yesterday (extending 8 inches onto the hearth), with a liner, as shown in the adjacent photo. This is in a cabin that is only about 640 square feet on the main floor and only about 350 sf in the room with the stove. It has a loft and, therefore, a high ceiling, with a ceiling fan in the room with the stove.

This is a steel stove with convection chambers, and it's on the large side for the space to be heated. I haven't used the stove yet, and I'm wondering if people think a blower will be useful or just overkill considering I have the convection chambers and ceiling fan. This is a weekend place so it's always cold when I get there, sometimes below freezing. Thanks for your opinions!

Attachments

• P1030237.JPG
    P1030237.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 300
I have a similar situation and I don't have a fan on mine. I use my ceiling fans to distribute the heat. Try it and see how you like it, you can always ad the stove fan. It will take a while to heat the mass of the cabin. My stove has a 3 cubic foot box and I am glad it's not any smaller. Nice long overnight burns. We like to start a nice fire and go out for dinner and come back and load her up again.

Given that this is a weekend place, yes. A blower will speed up the warming process. If the cabin is below freezing (hope there's no water in the pipes or toilet) then it takes a long while to heat up the mass of the interior of the cabin. That is, unless the woodstove is just supplemental to a bigger heater like a furnace.

Thanks for the replies. I actually paid for the blower already, but they forgot to bring it when they brought the liner and extension 60 miles to the site. I can bring it up next time I go, on the other hand thoughI was thinking of trying to get a refund, but it's probably not worth the hassle since it is probably needed anyway.

Thanks for the comment on the water system; yes, I do winterize every trip this time of year.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.