IS IT WORTH MOVING STOVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HOGG0494

Feb 18, 2015
hidson valley,new york
hi guys/gals,had a question to see if it's worth my time and $.was thinking of moving the angle of my harman XXV pellet stove.reason is to try and get more heat on second floor.my stove is on the first floor in livingroom.in picture 1 the angle the heat comes out of stove it hits the small wall between the kitchen and second livingroom.picture 2 shows my second livingroom which connects to the hall and goes upstairs.i was thinking if i angled the stove to go directly into the second livingroom it would in return get more heat in the hallway and work it's way upstairs.no matter how high i put the stove in the winter,i only get the bedrooms upstairs to 64 degrees.it can be 85 downstairs and still only 64 upstairs.would repositioning the stove get any more heat upstairs?i tried using fans and they did nothing.i added floor pass through registers and it made a 2 degree difference only.don't want to spend time and $ if i will not see any difference.i had to use electric heaters this winter alot because the bedrooms only reached 60 degrees on some days.they added $200 a month to my electric bill.ouch,any other ideas welcome
P1050352.JPG P1050353.JPG

Use a fan or 2 to redirect the airflow.

Hello
Angle the stove will help but it sounds like maybe there is not enough insulation in the house?

I agree with Don you may be loosing heat to air leaks somewhere before it hits the rooms you need it in

house was built in 2010.has plenty of insulation from what i can tell.it holds the heat and cold air in good,just cant get enough heat upstairs.by repositioning the stove what type of heat gain do you think i would get?i was supprised when i cut open the floor/ceilings and installed metal tubing with register vents and only gained 2 degrees in each bedroom

house was built in 2010.has plenty of insulation from what i can tell.it holds the heat and cold air in good,just cant get enough heat upstairs.by repositioning the stove what type of heat gain do you think i would get?i was supprised when i cut open the floor/ceilings and installed metal tubing with register vents and only gained 2 degrees in each bedroom

Cutting vents in the floors is most likely a fire code violation.

It allows fire to travel much more quickly through the house significantly cutting down safe time to evacuate. Google it.

Yep. The space around those ducts where they pass through floors have firebreaks around them for the same reason. So openings don't exist between floors that become chimneys in a house fire. Registers are available that have spring loaded fusible links in them that close when they get hot for the purpose.

Vornado aimed at the stairs...

That doorway in the 2nd pic looks like a significant choke point - if that is the only opening for air to pass through.

You could try some doorway fans mounted at the top of that door opening (2nd living room) to move heat out into the foyer -> upstairs, but I suspect your downstairs living area will be colder at floor level..

Status
Not open for further replies.