Is it worth Selling my Wood Stove insert or junk it? Its only 3 years old. Regency 2400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

psulion

Nov 13, 2007
NJ
I am selling my house and believe it or not the buyer does not want the wood stove insert. I am thinking of trying to sell it. Is it worth trying to sell and if so how much do you think it is worth. Thanks for your help.

psulion said:
I am selling my house and believe it or not the buyer does not want the wood stove insert. I am thinking of trying to sell it. Is it worth trying to sell and if so how much do you think it is worth. Thanks for your help.

Definitely worth selling, you could probably get $1000 or so! That would be only half what it might cost new, right?
If you ask too close to what they cost new it's not worth it to someone to come and get it plus they aren't getting the tax refund, but that's a really nice stove if it is still in good shape it should fetch a good price!

I'd also say sell it. You should be able to get at least half the cost back. Good luck and congratulations on selling the house. Also, welcome to the forum.

hey, just throwing this out there. I'd be interested in trading you my isle royale (3years old) for the insert. I have a truck and we can swap em asap. maybe you can use the IR at your new place.

Regency is a good stove and I would say it is definitely worth the effort to sell it. If I had a larger fireplace, that would have been one of the stoves I looked at.

When I listed my house I had a corn burning furnace in it. My realtor told me to sell it. She said unless it was the right buyer it wouldn't add to the value of the house, and that I should get what I could out of it. I had $4500 into it, sold it for $3k. I saved way more than $1500 on heating bills in the three years I had it, so I felt I came out ahead anyway.

maxed_out said:
hey, just throwing this out there. I'd be interested in trading you my isle royale (3years old) for the insert. I have a truck and we can swap em asap. maybe you can use the IR at your new place.

I say take the Isle Royale and keep trading up. You might have a Hearthstone Equinox to sell before you're done trading. :)

Well if the buyer doesn't want it and you don't want or need it for your new house I can't think of any reason not to sell the insert and get some cash for it . . . money for you, good deal for another . . . everyone wins . . . well except for the house buyer who in a few years of heating with oil or gas will start thinking to himself "You know . . . I probably should have kept that wood burning insert . . . that would have saved me a nice chunk of change instead of paying for all this oil/gas each winter." ;)

The only thing I would also consider is if you remove the stove try to make sure the fireplace is functional without it, like if your damper was cut you might need to have a top damper installed.

Put it on Craig's List.. you'll be happy you did.

"The only thing I would also consider is if you remove the stove try to make sure the fireplace is functional without it, like if your damper was cut you might need to have a top damper installed."

That was my concern selling our last place. Plus, you might damage something taking it out. Then there's the wire screen and glass doors, probably long gone. I left the stove.

"The only thing I would also consider is if you remove the stove try to make sure the fireplace is functional without it, like if your damper was cut you might need to have a top damper installed."
That was my concern selling our last place. Plus, you might damage something taking it out. Then there's the wire screen and glass doors, probably long gone. I left the stove.

Being a real estate agent myself, I would not worry about making the fireplace functional as long as you disclose the chimney condition after stove removal. The folks buying the house may not want the stove, but that doesn't mean you need to put out any cash in this market trying to fix a problem the new owners might not be concerned with. Sell the stove, get some cash & move on. Don't give anything to a buyer in this real estate market unless they specifically ask for it. Buyers are getting good enough deals right now without free stoves or new dampers/chimney upgrades. Unless of course it is more of a pain to remove than the cash from selling it is worth to you.

Good luck with your closing/appraisal/move.

Being a real estate agent myself, I would not worry about making the fireplace functional as long as you disclose the chimney condition after stove removal. The folks buying the house may not want the stove, but that doesn't mean you need to put out any cash in this market trying to fix a problem the new owners might not be concerned with. Sell the stove, get some cash & move on. Don't give anything to a buyer in this real estate market unless they specifically ask for it. Buyers are getting good enough deals right now without free stoves or new dampers/chimney upgrades. Unless of course it is more of a pain to remove than the cash from selling it is worth to you. If your market is anything like mine, you probably gave much more than you wanted just to get the house sold.

Good luck with your closing/appraisal/move.

psulion said:
THanks for all the responses!

Hey Psulion,

I sent you a private message about the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.