Is it worthwhile to replace a link in a chain?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

colsmith

Feeling the Heat
Apr 11, 2006
near Milwaukee, WI
Hello, we were cutting firewood earlier this week with our Husky 353. Ran into some nails in a piece of wood. One link is really mangled, not in the way that filing it would help much. Rather, it seems that the top part of the link isn't there anymore. I don't know if that is called the raker or the whatever, but a place with a curved edge that is sort of flat on top, that is missing a small part of its metal. Is it worthwhile to try to replace a link in a chain, or is that pointless and we should just buy another chain? Or we do we just sharpen/file the rest and go with the one bad link? It is an 18" bar if that factors in.

Thanks for any advice. We have never done anything to our chain except sharpen it so not sure how complicated having a link replaced is.

If the damaged link bends freely, and doesn't bind, I would sharpen the chain as usual and see if the damaged link causes any problems. I don't think I would bother trying to replace a link. It's not too hard to do that, if you have the special chain breaker and rivet setting tools, but the next question is where will you get the link? from another old chain? Too much hassel IMO.

Hubby called up the place where we bought our chainsaw, and asked some questions. Supposedly they could replace the link. So I took the chain in, but after it was looked over by a couple guys, they said they couldn't replace that link. It is a cutter that was knocked partly off. They told me that they could replace a connecting link, but not a cutting link. (Dunno why.) They said to sharpen it and just use it anyway, the next cutter would just handle it. Hubby said it cut a little funny, but he hadn't sharpened it yet so maybe that will help. I also bought another chain just in case.

I'd run it with the missing link and I doubt you'll notice much, if any, difference.

While it's possible to replace a link, it's usually not a good idea. The problem is that the new link has no wear, while all the other links are worn evenly. If you don't file the new link down to match the others, you'll cause all kinds of problems with your sprocket, chain and bar. It's not worth it to save a $10 or $15 chain. But as I said, it should work fine with one missing cutter.

Status
Not open for further replies.