Is it wrong to..........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bret Chase

Minister of Fire
Jan 15, 2013
Maine
be on a two week vacation in Orlando... and to be looking up at the palm trees and wondering their btu content and how hard they split?

I also found it neat to watch the forest composition change as we traveled south....

No shame in that! I was just on vacation in St Pete and wondering the same thing 'bout their palms.

be on a two week vacation in Orlando... and to be looking up at the palm trees and wondering their btu content and how hard they split?

I also found it neat to watch the forest composition change as we traveled south....

We enjoyed that very much when we traveled to Arizona and back. We saw many trees we'd never seen before. Even brought back some acorns and pine cones and, of course, some rocks.

Palm is basically a grass. Not the best for either.

Palm is basically a grass. Not the best for either.

So is bamboo.... but judging by how it goes up on my burnpile... there is definitely heat there.... not nearly as much as bittersweet (which burns like it has gasoline for sap)

Yep we're all a little touched by the firewood bug. I ride a bike alot and the last few years I've been accused by my buddies of tree gazing. They don't know I'm a wood junkie!:)

GF caught me gazing around the woods while I was standing on the diving board the other day - I said see there is a dying maple that I'll cut in October and another beetle killed pine off my back shoulder.
She accused me of day dreaming about cutting trees:)

I'm having trouble keeping my eyes on the road while driving, constantly scanning the tree tops for dead and dying. After last winter's wet Christmas snow, I was watching for fresh breaks on the oaks, indicating downed limbs. It's worse than texting (which I don't do, EVER!).

Hey I feel your pain man. I was at the beach last week and saw some logs that had been cut and laid on the side of the road. I asked my wife if we could fit them in the car! The response was not positive! It is a sickness for sure....

Years ago we were in Vermont on vacation, and I saw behind a motel some Yellow Birch that was cut into rounds lying on the ground. I don't get Yellow Birch here in PA., so I asked them in the motel and the manager said I could take a piece home. It was in the back of the wife's Rav 4 with some gifts she had bought and rolled around one time as we were driving and the wife flipped out and said "that better not have broken anything"! I was lucky it didn't, but at least I got to burn a few splits of Yellow Birch that Winter lol!

What's truly wrong is visiting Florida in middle of the summer instead of in the dead of winter when you can briefly escape the cold and snow for warmer climates. ;)
Just came back from there,no more will i venture into floridas interior in june. Xmas vacation there makes much more sense. Not coveting thy neighbors trees, but his lake is full of large fish. And he's away on vacation.

Reactions: ScotO and Shane N
It would be wrong not to! I always look at trees to figure how much cordage I could get. :)
I'm going to the shore for a week and give my eyes a rest. From trees and leaves anyway.

that would be the limitations imposed by a divorce decree after $15,000 in lawyer bills...

Crap . . . at least you managed to keep enough to at least take a vacation though!

Reactions: hobbyheater
I went down to Orlando this past month. Last trip for sure. Disney World is the most painful experience I've had in a while.

Did enjoy Tenessee. The smokies are great and mile after mile of woods in that state. I live in corn country and it is nice to see that not all of the planet is stripped bare.

I went down to Orlando this past month. Last trip for sure. Disney World is the most painful experience I've had in a while.

Did enjoy Tenessee. The smokies are great and mile after mile of woods in that state. I live in corn country and it is nice to see that not all of the planet is stripped bare.
I can echo that statement ,even the part about Tenessee,spent a week there in june around copper canyon. Disney was long lines and sweltering heat all day,even the kids 6 and 9 did not really enjoy. They did have fun at cocoa beach however.

I've been in the UK this week for work, doing the same, looking at some of the trees and wondering if it is a good one for burning.... Unfortunately pent up in an office for 12 hours a day so I've not had a chance to really look around.

I've had much more painful experiences than the magic kingdom...

I spent a few years in southeast KY.... 25 miles north of Cumberland Gap on US25E... that being said...

there is much in TN that is beautiful..... there are also areas... like Lafollette.... that are so unbelievably depressing... and just wrecked.

I can echo that statement ,even the part about Tenessee,spent a week there in june around copper canyon. Disney was long lines and sweltering heat all day,even the kids 6 and 9 did not really enjoy. They did have fun at cocoa beach however.

3 words.... Customer Assistance Card.... makes EVERYTHING better :D

that would be the limitations imposed by a divorce decree after $15,000 in lawyer bills...

I agree with ffjake - Crap. Hope you got some good memories with pics from the trip.

We did the Disney craziness many years ago to fulfill the promise to our kids. The lines are very long during Christmas vacation and we made the mistake of visiting all the sections one after the other - should have had a "day of rest" to relax on a beach or at a pool between. Would not recommend Christmas or summer visit for Disney. That said, glad we did that trip as we brought my Mom with us - she passed away the following November:( We have wonderful pics and memories with Grandma...

Guess I must not have the sickness that bad - I was trying to convince the kids to grab a coconut;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.