1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Is it wrong to..........

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Bret Chase, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Bret Chase

Bret Chase Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    be on a two week vacation in Orlando... and to be looking up at the palm trees and wondering their btu content and how hard they split?

I also found it neat to watch the forest composition change as we traveled south....
    Trilifter7, albert1029, n3pro and 2 others like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Trooper

Trooper Guest

No shame in that! I was just on vacation in St Pete and wondering the same thing 'bout their palms.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    We enjoyed that very much when we traveled to Arizona and back. We saw many trees we'd never seen before. Even brought back some acorns and pine cones and, of course, some rocks.
  4. red oak

red oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northwest Virginia
    Hey I feel your pain man. I was at the beach last week and saw some logs that had been cut and laid on the side of the road. I asked my wife if we could fit them in the car! The response was not positive! It is a sickness for sure....
  5. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Palm is basically a grass. Not the best for either.
  6. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine

So is bamboo.... but judging by how it goes up on my burnpile... there is definitely heat there.... not nearly as much as bittersweet (which burns like it has gasoline for sap)
  7. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    Yep we're all a little touched by the firewood bug. I ride a bike alot and the last few years I've been accused by my buddies of tree gazing. They don't know I'm a wood junkie!:)
    Trilifter7 and NortheastAl like this.
  8. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    It would be wrong not to! I always look at trees to figure how much cordage I could get. :)
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    What's truly wrong is visiting Florida in middle of the summer instead of in the dead of winter when you can briefly escape the cold and snow for warmer climates. ;)
  10. basod

basod Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mount Cheaha Alabama
    GF caught me gazing around the woods while I was standing on the diving board the other day - I said see there is a dying maple that I'll cut in October and another beetle killed pine off my back shoulder.
    She accused me of day dreaming about cutting trees:)
  11. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    I'm having trouble keeping my eyes on the road while driving, constantly scanning the tree tops for dead and dying. After last winter's wet Christmas snow, I was watching for fresh breaks on the oaks, indicating downed limbs. It's worse than texting (which I don't do, EVER!).
  12. PA. Woodsman

PA. Woodsman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Emmaus, Pennsylvania

Years ago we were in Vermont on vacation, and I saw behind a motel some Yellow Birch that was cut into rounds lying on the ground. I don't get Yellow Birch here in PA., so I asked them in the motel and the manager said I could take a piece home. It was in the back of the wife's Rav 4 with some gifts she had bought and rolled around one time as we were driving and the wife flipped out and said "that better not have broken anything"! I was lucky it didn't, but at least I got to burn a few splits of Yellow Birch that Winter lol!
  13. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    Just came back from there,no more will i venture into floridas interior in june. Xmas vacation there makes much more sense. Not coveting thy neighbors trees, but his lake is full of large fish. And he's away on vacation.
    ScotO and Shane N like this.
  14. Paulywalnut

Paulywalnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Kennett Square, PA
    I'm going to the shore for a week and give my eyes a rest. From trees and leaves anyway.
  15. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine

that would be the limitations imposed by a divorce decree after $15,000 in lawyer bills...
    hobbyheater and Mitch Newton like this.
  16. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine
    besides... I am a welder/ironworker by trade.... I didn't find it all that hot...
  17. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Crap . . . at least you managed to keep enough to at least take a vacation though!
    hobbyheater likes this.
  18. aansorge

aansorge Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Minnesota
    I went down to Orlando this past month. Last trip for sure. Disney World is the most painful experience I've had in a while.

Did enjoy Tenessee. The smokies are great and mile after mile of woods in that state. I live in corn country and it is nice to see that not all of the planet is stripped bare.
    ScotO and Backwoods Savage like this.
  19. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    I can echo that statement ,even the part about Tenessee,spent a week there in june around copper canyon. Disney was long lines and sweltering heat all day,even the kids 6 and 9 did not really enjoy. They did have fun at cocoa beach however.
  20. paul bunion

paul bunion Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NJ
    I've been in the UK this week for work, doing the same, looking at some of the trees and wondering if it is a good one for burning.... Unfortunately pent up in an office for 12 hours a day so I've not had a chance to really look around.
  21. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine

lol.... the divorce was final in 2007...
  22. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine

I've had much more painful experiences than the magic kingdom...

I spent a few years in southeast KY.... 25 miles north of Cumberland Gap on US25E... that being said...

there is much in TN that is beautiful..... there are also areas... like Lafollette.... that are so unbelievably depressing... and just wrecked.
  23. Bret Chase

Loc:
    Maine

3 words.... Customer Assistance Card.... makes EVERYTHING better :D
  24. Lake Girl

Lake Girl Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I agree with ffjake - Crap. Hope you got some good memories with pics from the trip.

We did the Disney craziness many years ago to fulfill the promise to our kids. The lines are very long during Christmas vacation and we made the mistake of visiting all the sections one after the other - should have had a "day of rest" to relax on a beach or at a pool between. Would not recommend Christmas or summer visit for Disney. That said, glad we did that trip as we brought my Mom with us - she passed away the following November:( We have wonderful pics and memories with Grandma...

Guess I must not have the sickness that bad - I was trying to convince the kids to grab a coconut;lol