1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is it wrong...

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Tramontana, Nov 17, 2012.

1. Tramontana

Tramontana Member

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    ...to have wood envy?

Man, I see all of these awesome photos of everyone's stacks and just marvel. Aside from urban removal, we just don't have hardwoods like all of you back east. Mostly lodgepole and some ponderosa around here.

I've only had my stove for the past 11 months and live in the city where ordinances limit me to two cords, neatly stacked.

I spent all of last summer building a new 20'x20' patio, grape trellis out of 6x6 cedar posts and mahogany rails, and then a 10'x12 shed for garden and wood working tools. Didn't have space or time to put up any more than the 1-1/2 cord I've been seasoning.

NEXT YEAR, I'm hoping to be able to put up a woodshed to increase my stores!

Cheers!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

I have 9 cords and have wood envy. Its called "the sickness"

I suppose if I didn't have a family, a job, and going to see the twilight movie, or things to tend to, I'd be in the woods 12 hours a day, cutting, splitting, and stacking wood. Never shaving, (not that I do that too much anyway) and bathing every saturday.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  3. Tramontana

Tramontana Member

Loc:
    Wheat Ridge, Colorado
    the sickness huh? ;sick

I'm afraid to ask...

...is there a cure? :p
  4. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Not if you can't pay the bill :)
  5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

The cure = Mo wOOd!
  6. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest

Mo'wood is just a temporary "fix" though.
  7. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yep.... Even after you get several years ahead.... You never Stop!!! NEVER!!! !!!
  8. Plow Boy

Plow Boy Member

Loc:
    Iron Station, NC
    First year burning, can't wait to get several seasons ahead.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Wood envy is a good envy. It causes a man to want to go out and cut more wood!

Understand the problem of living in the city and lack of space. You do have the right idea on the wood shed though. I would highly suggest stacking 2 cord outside the wood shed and then moving it into the shed after it has dried else it just won't dry much in the shed. Also, the city shouldn't have a problem with 2 cord outside and what is in the shed they won't see.

Also, that lodgepole and ponderosa pine should be good burning wood.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Twilight movie, eh? Forget Wood Envy Sickeness . . . this right here is someone truly sick. ;) :)
    Standingdead likes this.
  11. Beer Belly

Beer Belly Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Connecticut
    I'm doing ok on wood by some standards.....and just don't know how some guys get so ahead on wood....where do they find the time ???....the energy ???.....I'm almost 53, and consider myself in decent shape, but can't compete with most here when it comes what it takes.....I'm thinking I'm just crossing the bridge to 2 years ahead, and I'm beat to hell.
  12. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    Just a little more Beer Belly.............once you get over the hump it gets a whole lot easier. :)
    Beer Belly likes this.