is Jotul 118 UL approved?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

philgran

Jan 23, 2007
I bought an old cabin. It came with an old Jotul 118 wood stove. The manufactures plate has been painted over. I want to reinstall it. On the bottom of the stove it says 118 B. The only thing I can make out on the plate is 9-1980. Can you tell me if this stove is UL approved?

Thanks

elkimmeg said:

nice catch elk, 2.4gph stove is a pretty clean burning unit for that era, meets epa phase 2 emmissions , its test rating is certainly good enough tested at warnock hersey means it meets ul standards and they are a certified testing agency , they do all of our units, and are well recognised

Guys, he said older f118, I don't believe he's referring to the current model.

He's talking about the non-secondary combustion unit from before I was born. No way that stove does 2.4 gph. Its just a cast iron box with a baffle, from what I've seen

That said though, I think the old one was UL listed too. Jotul has been UL listed for quite some time if I remember correctly.

yep , my bad , manual posted was for 118-cb , not the 118 b, im sure unit was tested to standard of that time though , if not EPA phase2 then probably oregon standard, would have been ul approved, i may be able to find in intertek archive at work, to our poster : sir if you need it , it may take me a few days to dig it up in interteck books at work (dang thing is a monster) let me know , i will try , or you may find online if you query intertek testing (warnock hersey)

Mike,

Thank you.

I tried to "drill down" through the Google Intertek listings on the Jotul 118 to no avail (does the "B" mean anything?) Any help you can pass on would be great. I'm annoyed that someone painted over the information plate on the stove back. Sorry to bother you.

Thank you very much.

Phil Grannan

Intertek's database shows a listing for the F118 but I would bet it is the new one. Of course the building inspector wouldn't know that.

Jotul 118's at that build date were all UL approved....this should be shown in any old parts list or manual on that model.
Jotul was probably the first stove in America to be UL listed - right about 1978. I think the "B" is for that model. There are only slight differences between the previous "non-UL" model and that - mostly in the inner liners.

I will see if I can find any "proof".

PhilG,

The tag on the stove... how was it made? If the tag is etched you may be able to strip off the paint to reveal the numbers underneath. I'd start with maybe some goof off and get more aggressive. If the tag is of no use to you now, you may as well give a shot at revealing what's underneath in my opinion. Worst case you've stripped off some paint and have to touch up that spot.

Also to help reveal the numbers (again if etched) you can take a piece of paper and run a pencil over it to make an imprint. Just a thought.

-Kevin

philg said:
Mike,

Thank you.

I tried to "drill down" through the Google Intertek listings on the Jotul 118 to no avail (does the "B" mean anything?) Any help you can pass on would be great. I'm annoyed that someone painted over the information plate on the stove back. Sorry to bother you.

Thank you very much.

Phil Grannan

"B" is a series number of the 118 line, the manual that elk posted was a "CB" which is catalytic. craig isd right it will be a ul listed model, i will see if i can find it in our ITS archive (if it goes back that far, croos your fingers) if i find i'll let ya know.

stoveguy2esw said:
philg said:
Mike,

Thank you.

Thank you very much.

Phil Grannan

"B" is a series number of the 118 line, the manual that elk posted was a "CB" which is catalytic. craig isd right it will be a ul listed model, i will see if i can find it in our ITS archive (if it goes back that far, croos your fingers) if i find i'll let ya know.

CB in the Jotul line designates Clean Burn, and non catalytic.

Took the fine advice of one of the members and used some paint remover on the tags on the back. Used a halogen light to heat the back of the stove up (cold in the garage). The remover wiped out most of the Jotul info but the top tag is the engraved UL approval. Time to call the building inspector!

Thanks to all!!!

Phil Grannan

glad to hear that phil, cause i was about to post that our books do not go back quite that far , at least not the ones in my office, might have them down in the lab, but i struck out looking it up , glad to see that you found the ul listing on the tag , im sure that will be all you will need for the inspector

wrenchmonster said:
PhilG,

The tag on the stove... how was it made? If the tag is etched you may be able to strip off the paint to reveal the numbers underneath. I'd start with maybe some goof off and get more aggressive. If the tag is of no use to you now, you may as well give a shot at revealing what's underneath in my opinion. Worst case you've stripped off some paint and have to touch up that spot.

Also to help reveal the numbers (again if etched) you can take a piece of paper and run a pencil over it to make an imprint. Just a thought.

-Kevin

KEVIN, I' with you on this one. Try Goof-Off. It's a slow acting mild solvent softener. If you use paint stripper you may wipe out the tag completely. I suggest soaking cotton, or gauze with G-O, and applying to the surface. Because it's a vertical surface, civer with plastic and tape in place. Leave it for 3-4 hours. Carefully remove pad and see if paint is soft. If it is soft, add more to pad and retape. Leave over night. Soft tooth brush and some soapy water will likely remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.