is latex paint considered a combustable?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stovepipe?

Dec 1, 2005
I have about 16 inch clearance between my stovepipe and a plaster wall-- wire lath, perlite plaster, veneer layer of plaster of paris, screwed into metal studs so none of it is combustable. I want to paint it with regular old latex paint. so questions:

a) is latex paint considered a combustable? i.e. would painting this surface mean I was no longer within code?

b) if not, am I likely to have cracking and pealing problems anyway? or are sustained wall temps of maybe 120 or so ok.

At 120 you should be fine. It always depends on the surface that is painted and how far it is away. Paint tend to soak into masonry (and perhaps plaster) and this makes it relatively non-combustible. Just for an example, most grout additives and pre-mix, as well as many thinsets contain latex. I would not be concerned about 16 inches from pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.