Is Liner needed Oslo?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TriMom

Jan 29, 2013
We bought a Jotul Oslo and are having the dealer install it. We are replacing an old Garrison. Reading the manual I'm not sure if we need to line chimney or not.

Our house was built in 1992 and this chimney has two separate flues. Removing the pipe my husband measured flue at 6x10. This stove will be in our basement.

Chimney was cleaned and inspected last September and will be cleaned again for install. The pipe connecting to flue has some build up but not flue as far as we can see. We were burning our Garrison to low of heat and the current venting is poorly designed.

Manual on page 6 says:

"The fireclay flue liner must have nominal size of 8”x8” and should not be larger than 8”x12”. ….

If Chimney with larger dimension is to be used, it should be relined with an appropriate liner that is code approved."

Our take is we do not need to line our chimney. It is significantly less expensive install not to put in a liner as both install cost and parts cost drop and will save us $500 or more.

Here is where it will go and dealer will make venting straighter and with double wall venting.

get-photo.asp

Do we need to line the chimney per Jotul's manua? If not is there any reason should we consider having chimney lined?

Thanks for your help.

A liner is not necessary, per the manual text you quoted. However , a liner will see less creosote build-up than that large clay flue , thanks both to reduced cooling of your flue gasses, and increased velocity of flue gasses.

If the chimney is sound, and your fuel is very well seasoned, it doesn't hurt to give the stove a try in that current chimney.

If the performance isn't as great as you think it should be (as in the stove is slow to start, can't close the draft down very far w/out snuffing out the fire, can't get the heat up very high on the stove, excessive smoke spillage, etc) then you'll want to start shopping for a liner.

pen

Reactions: Defiant
Thanks for your input...hate to say I don't always trust what dealer say.

I think trying it w/o liner and add if needed would be a wise way to go.

You'll know within the first few months of burning. Early fall can be a poor indicator on a new stove / user, but if you're having trouble with draft when it turns cold in December, or seeing any sort of creosote issue, then it's time to consider the liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.