is locust good firewood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
I have the means to get a lot clearing of locust 20 ft piles cut into 6 to 8 footers. Is it a good wood to burn in a wood stove? Is there anything I should know about it ?

I believe alot of the eastern members here use locust fairly regularly judging from the posts in the wood shed. Can't comment on any personal experience with locust, as I believe the nearest locust tree is about 500+ miles from here :)

+1, good wood, get all you can, we love it. Great heat, nice blue flames when dry.

Locust makes up a big part of my primo stash. Its nice to have some smaller split quick start wood to drop on the coal bed before you load the locust especially if you've let the coals burn down.

SolarAndWood said:
Locust makes up a big part of my primo stash. Its nice to have some smaller split quick start wood to drop on the coal bed before you load the locust especially if you've let the coals burn down.

I agree. It can be tough to get started, but once you do it's great firewood. Get all you can.

Seasons in < 1yr. Keep some big ones for overnighters. If you need some help let me know.

Black locust wood is very dense, hard, and tough. Your saw chain had better be razor-sharp. Easy to split, though, except for the usual problems with forks & knots.
You and the saw will get a good workout with the stuff. Once split, be sure to wear gloves handling it- the splinters are like spears.

The bark is thick, and separates readily from the wood unless you split it shortly after cutting it. Just so you know.

A firebox full of black locust, with a few splits of sugar maple to instigate things- good as it gets in mid-winter.

Run Forest Run! Get all you can.........

just brought home 1/2 cord the other day with about 3-4 cords worth waiting for me, will probably end up burning mostly locust in 2 years when it's read. I can't wait.

pen

pen said:
just brought home 1/2 cord the other day with about 3-4 cords worth waiting for me, will probably end up burning mostly locust in 2 years when it's read. I can't wait.

pen

I will burn mine this fall. Cut stacked in Jan. ,but I am not running an Epa Stove!

pen said:

pen
The locust will easily be ready for next heating season. Thats the biggest benefit of locust, the fast drying.

I burned some locust 2 nights ago that I cut 2 nights ago. But it was waaaay dead and dry. Burned like a champ.

lukem said:
I burned some locust 2 nights ago that I cut 2 nights ago. But it was waaaay dead and dry. Burned like a champ.

Sounds like I will be in good shape then....I know its pretty dry even fresh.

Maybe I'll set some to the side to try this winter then just for the fun of it.

pen

I just scored almost a 2 cords of Black Locust, from green to very dry standing dead and there is plenty more where it came from. With its short seasoning time, I think it will be my 11-12 wood and the Red /White Oak mix that was scheduled for 11-12 will be pushed to 12-13. Good, dense stuff! It is heavy, but you don't need as much of it as some of the less dense hardwoods. Take all that you can!

pen said:
Maybe I'll set some to the side to try this winter then just for the fun of it.

pen

Do it. As long as you are storing it in a beer cooler or humidor I think you'll be surprised at how dry it gets.

excellent fire wood! I burn alot of it. if its green wood, split it as soon as you can. It can be a bugger to split it after it dries when cut green.

We love burning locust as well and mixing it with hedge for some great overnight burns. I have 7 thorny locust trees split for next year along with several hickory trees that should be good when I get my hedge split up. I would get all of it you can.

Get the stove hot with lots of coals then drop it in and appreciate it.

If you dont want it let me know! My BIL would love to have it, and maybe hell send a truck load home with me :)

It sucks. I'll come and get it to save you the frustration. ;)

"Is locust good firewood?"

bearshtwoods.jpg

Too hot for sheet metal stoves. It can warp them. Be sure it's dry. Old timers around here say it will eat up a stove. Could be they just want to keep scroungers away from their preferred stash. Just in case though... don't share the secret of your source.

Status
Not open for further replies.