Is my hearth large enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THEMAN

Oct 22, 2009
CENTRAL CA
Hello all,

I am a newbie to this forum as well as the insert world. I have always loved the crackle and sounds of the open flame fireplace however, with raising gas and electrical bills along with EPA limitations(California) I am looking at the efficiency and increased heat output of an insert. I have a deal on a Buck model 91 wood insert for $300.00 however, I’m not sure if I will be able to use it. As you can tell from the pic(hopefully it loaded) My fireplace is not your typical straight brick front. It has ‘pillars’ on either side of the opening that impede the size of the “trim kit?” (newbie) that surrounds and seals the insert. This total with is just under 45 inches with only 4 inches from firebox opening to pillar on either side. My question is, the specs state that I need a hearth that is 24 inches in length(http://www.buckstove.com/buckfiles/manuals/Buck-Stove-Model-91-Manual-(Rev-10102008).pdf). Mine is only 16 inches from the front end to the opening of the firebox, a full 8 inches too short. My question is two fold actually probably folded a few time over haha. Is this hearth requirement due to the fact that the stove can put out a advertised 50k btu and warm a 3200sqft home?(http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model91.html) So if my home is 1800sqft and I doubt that I will have to run the stove at the same temperatures required to heat a 3200sqft home will my 16” hearth suffice? Oh and by the way the flooring at the end of the hearth is carpet. If this will not work, what can I do short of pulling up carpet and laying down some more brick? A temporary board with duroc and tiles perhaps? I have more questions but I will stay with this for now, if its not going to work for me then there is no sense in asking the rest of my questions. In any event any help that you can lend would be greatly appreciated not only regarding the hearth but on future questions regarding install. Thanks

Tony

Attachments

• FPMEASUREMENTS502250again!.bmp
    351.6 KB · Views: 388
I just looked at the Buck 91 yesterday. It sticks out quite far onto the hearth, probably 8-10" so you will definitiley need some sort of hearth extender. As far as whether it will fit into your fireplace. I dont know for sure, it is a big unit. In Bucks' brochure thaey call out the fireplace dimensions as 23.5 X 31.75 X 15.5. There was one dimension in particlular that the dealership told me to check and that was the "L" dimension. This is the depth of the fireplace at the height of the insert. A dealership could help you tremedously. $300.00 sounds like a steal. IF you pass on it I'll buy it and pay for the shipping.

Rockey said:
I just looked at the Buck 91 yesterday. It sticks out quite far onto the hearth, probably 8-10" so you will definitiley need some sort of hearth extender. As far as whether it will fit into your fireplace. I dont know for sure, it is a big unit. In Bucks' brochure thaey call out the fireplace dimensions as 23.5 X 31.75 X 15.5. There was one dimension in particlular that the dealership told me to check and that was the "L" dimension. This is the depth of the fireplace at the height of the insert. A dealership could help you tremedously. $300.00 sounds like a steal. IF you pass on it I'll buy it and pay for the shipping.

Yeah I mesured from the back of the stove and according the the listed depth of the stove that would actually only leave me around 8in of hearth in front of the stove, and thats with it touching the back of the fireplace! So I will definitely have to build/buy a hearth extension. One of the problems is that we do not have a local Buck Stove dealer nearby or with in 100 miles according to their dealer locator, that I could ask for instruction or help. I will see if the the guy will let give it a dry fit to see if it will fit. I will need some friends to help with this baby almost 600lbs that's more than my gun safe! He actually wanted $400.00 for the insert but since he had cleaned my fireplace he knocked off $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.