Is my insurance company too good to be true?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oilstinks

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 25, 2008
western NC
Called the insurance office today and asked requirements for coverage after a wood stove install. This is what they require; nothing, zilch and nada. I was told just to put it in. No more money required from me either. Surely this is fishy. Im with Farm Bureau. They dont even need to come out and sign off on it.

My company is charging me a $50 rider for the solid fuel stove, doesn't matter if it's wood/corn/pellet. They just wanted a professional install and pictures when its finished. I am with IMT...8

Mine asked questions about it, including "do you have at least one smoke detector in the home?" (??!?!?!) and then said okay, thanks for letting us know.

My agent just noted the file and said (Chubb) did not require anything.

American family told me if its using the same chimney they do not care... I have an insert. If you are adding an additional chimney then added risk and added premium.

Mine said since there was already a fireplace (open flame heating appliance) nothing else was required.
joe

mine came out and took a look. did a couple of measurements and told me i was all set. no extra charge on my insurance. i thought that was cool

If you think your insurance company is too good to be true, just make a claim. I can promise that feeling will go away swiftly.

Mine didn't care either. As far as making a claim. I've had State Farm for years and they are very easy going about claims too.

the_dude said:
If you think your insurance company is too good to be true, just make a claim. I can promise that feeling will go away swiftly.

Often epends on the claim your filing...

Iam with state farm no charge!

acesover said:
allstate charged me $25. anyone else with allstate?

I am. I told them I have two wood stoves in the house 1985 and don't see any reason to call them again. :coolsmirk:

Might all this nonchalance from the insurance companies put an end to the "wood is dangerous" myth? Mine was more concerned with how much the dog weighed...

Don't get me started on Allstate; I had a bad experience with them and found an Erie agent that was only too willing to take my money.

Chris

I've had a couple bad experiences with State Farm, also know others who were treated unfairly by them. You can do better than State Farm.

My company (Auto Owners) wants to tack on $230.00 additional to my 638.00 yearly bill for the privilege of burning wood in a wood furnace. I am looking for another company to go with. Looked at State Farm and got a quote for about 100 less and no problem with wood furnace. What are these Others that are so good? is there a consensus on a good company all around?

I had AllState at one time!All i can say about them is that your money is in good hands with AllState :lol: I have not told my insuranse co about the stove yet!I think ill make a call soon.I have Middlesex Mutual!anyone have them??

Status
Not open for further replies.