is my old metal chimeny safe to use???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fosterdave37

Dec 8, 2016
northern michigan
So I'm installing a used woodstove (Lopi Leyden) in my home that has an existing chimney from a long ago removed stove. The existing chimney is 8" stainless steel with a label reading :
Residential type and building heating appliance chimney. Model D Cat No. 8dp30
Hart & Cooley MFG CO.
UL listed issue No. 145A

Now from what I've learned the Chimney pipe for a wood stove is supposed to be listed with the UL 103 HT classification.

Also the current chimney is 8" and the stove is set up for a 6"

I really don't want to spend the $500 to put a whole new chimney in but I also don't want to burn down my house. Any info is appreciated

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
So I'm installing a used woodstove (Lopi Layden) in my home that has an existing chimney from a long ago removed stove. The existing chimney is 8" stainless steel with a label reading :
Residential type and building heating appliance chimney. Model D Cat No. 8dp30
Hart & Cooley MFG CO.
UL listed issue No. 145A

Now from what I've learned the Chimney pipe for a wood stove is supposed to be listed with the UL 103 HT classification.

Also the current chimney is 8" and the stove is set up for a 6"

I really don't want to spend the $500 to put a whole new chimney in but I also don't want to burn down my house. Any info is appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 162
Got some pics?
How tall is your stack? If it's tall enough, maybe you can enough draw for the stove on 8".
As an aside, read up here on the Leyden; It's a down-draft stove, and takes some skill to run.

Got some pics?
How tall is your stack? If it's tall enough, maybe you can enough draw for the stove on 8".
As an aside, read up here on the Leyden; It's a down-draft stove, and takes some skill to run.

Stove is going in a single story home so approx. 6 feet of stove pipe and about 8 foot of the previously mentioned Hart and Cooley insulated chimney pipe. Will do on the research received the stove from my in-laws ( Free) so they can show me the ins and outs (they switched to pellets)

Attachments

• IMG_1996.JPG
    IMG_1996.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 98
I was in a similar position a few years ago. I had air-cooled older triple wall stovepipe in the house, but 6" inner. It passed inspection by a local chimney sweep and also home inspector a few months prior to that. After burning for a year with an old stove, I decided to change the stove to an EPA style, and at the same time my insurance company wanted a "professional install". I did the removal of this old chimney myself and hired a local CSIA sweep to reinstall Supervent double wall SS from Menards. To my surprise during removal of the old pipe I discovered that water had rusted the galvanized outer layer in a hidden spot which caused the lath to be charred where it passed through the ceiling.

Not trying to fear monger, but put into perspective the real cost of replacing that chimney. I realize not everyone has had this problem, but nobody says much about the life expectancy or failure modes for stovepipe.

If you do re-use the old chimney, best to be darn-sure it is in good condition and give it a full inspection.
To get your stove performing the best it can, matching the stovepipe size to the stove outlet will be beneficial to draft/stove performance, burn times, and not having smoke spillage when opening the door.

This may take pro eyes on site to determine its condition. It could be rarely used and fine or it could be deteriorating. Hard for us to say. It's an older pipe so it may not be rated at HT2100º.

The Leyden can be a fussy stove to run and quite particular about draft. It may be balky and puff back a lot with the increase in pipe size plus a bit short chimney.

Leyden can be a fussy stove to run and quite particular about draft. It may be balky and puff back a lot with the increase in pipe size plus a bit short chimney.
It also sounds like he might be top-venting, then a couple 90s into the chimney. :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.