Is my Regency FP90 fireplace safe to use?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbie

Dec 23, 2010
Southern Minnesota
Hello,

I have little previous experience with fireplaces. About a week ago I purchased a house built in 2006 that has a Regency FP90 fireplace built in. See the attached pictures:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15140312@N03/sets/72157625659019052/

My basic question is: Does my fireplace appear to be safe to use, or does it need work before I use it?

And more specifically:
Why does my Regency fireplace have a square on the bottom with no firebrick?
(this is shown in the manual, but the manual doesn't explain why. see page 20 http://www.houseneeds.com/shop/manuals/Regency_fp90_install.pdf )

Is there any evidence of excessive creosote buildup that should be cleaned?

This is my first post to this forum, thank you very much for the assistance, I am excited to find a active internet community supporting wood heat.

Looks like your ash clean out page 20 of you manual also looks like your missing the brick. Read that manual cover to cover first.

If you don't know when the chimney was clean last then call a chimney sweep to inspect it first with the peace of mind...then burn on brother you'll love the heat. Great looking stove by the way!
md

Reactions: fireplacesmoke
That square in the middle looks like the asj clean out, there should be a plug that goes in there that you would need before you burn anything. Call Regency or your local dealer if you can't find the piece that goes in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.