Is my stovetop thermometer shot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lopiliberty

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2011
WV
I walked past the stove this morning and noticed the thermometer was turned all the way around. I went to pick it up and it has lost all magnetic ability. I hate to admit it but I have had the thermometer pegged more times than I would have liked to this year. Is the thermometer still good or do I trash it and get a new one?

every one I've had over the last 40yrs has been the same design and cheaply made.

I'm willing to spend a little more than $12 for one that lasts but have never found one.

Me too. The better ones died just about as quickly as the cheap ones did.

My preference is to have not just a cheap magnetic one on the stove or pipe, but to have a cheap IR gun as well. Even though both are cheap, I figure they'll keep each other honest (though if one started lying, I guess I'd have to bring in a third party to see which it was).

Attachments

• sandhill.jpg
    sandhill.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 131
Status
Not open for further replies.