Is now a good time to buy a new stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffatus

Dec 2, 2005
Southeast Michigan
I will be buying and installing a wood stove this fall and I wanted to know if now (summer) is a good time to buy a new one. Was later winter or spring a better time? Should I wait until fall?

Thanks!
Jeff

Now is the time! Everyone is much slower this time of year.

I wouldn't nickel and dime a purchase like this, it's more of find the stove you like the best, get the best price available and get it installed so you can use it this year, colder weather is coming soon, don't wait to save 15 bucks, shop different retailers, save your money that way......gl

I usually buy in the summer. Walk in on an 85F Monday morning and you'll get lots of attention.

It is certainly the best time to get it installed rather quickly than waiting for weeks once comes fall and the stove shop is busy. Do you already have dry, seasoned wood to feed to the new stove?

I got an additional $500 off of my stove for buying it in the summer.

I picked out the insert I wanted or the insert my wife liked and got a price from a local store, he said if I found a better price to let him know. So I emailed every stove dealer in a 75 mile radius and found a better price went back to the local guy and saved over $200. So ask about a best price guarantee and shop around.

Thanks for the replies. I think I may start looking now and see if anyone gets really aggressive on pricing. My guess is that unless the manufacturers are offering rebates then I won't find a 20+% off deal. I am going to try to stay around $2,000ish range for the stove alone. I used to have a steel stove but will be looking for a cast iron one for this purchase. Would love a soapstone, but I don't think that is in my budget to heat 1,500+ sq. ft.

Thanks again folks!
Jeff

Where are you at in SE MI? Not a lot of stove shops around here.

Definitely is, shop and install now. You should be able to get shop for a good price. It's the slow time of the year. I tried scheduling a installation in the early winter, they were booked for 2 months.

Hey, I'm a Jeff T too! Lol. I live in the Clarkston area, about 40 miles northwest of Detroit near I-75.

There is a shop in Ortonville, but the manager there was a douchebag. It's not that I wouldn't b from them because of that, but I won't go to them for advice.

Reactions: jakeyboy
Some of the big box stores run some pretty good sales in the fall, but I seen the Menerds flyer last nite, they have begun already. Main thing I wanted to point out was the Supervent 6"x36" SS Class A chimney pipe for $59 ea. until Aug 2...a few stoves too, and a pretty good price on a wood furnace. Just a heads up for anybody that's shopping

We just bought a new woodstove and had it installed a few weeks ago.

Yes we did get a little discount from buying over the summer, but moreso for us, we were able to get it installed when they weren't busy, so we didn't have to work around their schedules. Had plenty of time to pull permits, etc.

One thing we've learned since buying our house last year, do stuff early. Don't wait to the last minute.

Reactions: webby3650
Status
Not open for further replies.