Is one year enough for black locust???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
A guy I work with wants a bunch of black locust cut. He burns wood, but he wont burn it because he says he is allergic to the smoke? doesn't bother me.

anyways, if I cut these trees and and block and split them up right away, do you think they will be dry enough to burn this time NEXT year - Jan 2010?

I know people say 2 years for the really hard wood, but I don't really have room to store wood for 2 years.

Thanks!

I'd like to know the answer to that as well - I have access to lots of locust. Aside from being hard as concrete would love to know how long it's gotta sit.

I cant answer ya, but I cut some standing live, back in the spring, its in the stacks for next winter. I could get a moisture reading from it and toss one in the summit if that'd help ya.....?

Two yrs. & you will get the max. btu.

Black locust comprises about 1/4 of my woodpile everyyear. I cut it Sept thru December, block it up, split it and stack it on pallets underneath my three-sided wood shed. It burns great the next fall.

Black locust is second only to ash in water content. You can definetly burn it in one year. It looses very little moisture because it has little to give up. It is one of the heaviest seasoned firewood for this reason!

Great! Thanks guys! once I get this locust, I'll probably have most of my wood for next year.

I was given a Black locust early winter. It's stacked and there were a few dead limbs.

The stuff is awesome for heat. We had a large bed of coals and 4 small pieces about 20" long, not even stacked but spread out with inches between them. It was the hottest wood I've ever burned.

Two years is probably best- but I'm getting good results at under one year. I cut and split a Locust that was on the ground for maybe 3+ months, knocked over by a 'dozer to get at a septic tank. I was burning splits about 6 months after that. I do let them dry out a little more on a grille on top of the hot stove. The way it behaves, I suspect I'm getting pretty near full BTU's out of that wood. Burns a long time and coals very well.

In my old Russo it was great after 6 months under cover. In my new Englander 13, forget it! This is after it was cut, split & stacked in May of 2007. In Oct of 07 I tented over the stack with the ends & one side open.
The top is supported a few feet above the stack. Essentially it is a lean to. The red oak done the same time & in the same stack is fine. Only way to burn the locust is dry it out around the stove for a few days.
Al

I don't have any experience with black locust but do have a little honey locust and Norway maple that I cut and split last spring and was planning on burning it but just re-plit a piece and tested it and it is still around 30%. So, I would say if you don't have ideal drying conditions, I would think two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.