1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Is one year enough for black locust???

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by FLINT, Jan 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLINT

FLINT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western VA Mtns.
    A guy I work with wants a bunch of black locust cut. He burns wood, but he wont burn it because he says he is allergic to the smoke? doesn't bother me.

anyways, if I cut these trees and and block and split them up right away, do you think they will be dry enough to burn this time NEXT year - Jan 2010?

I know people say 2 years for the really hard wood, but I don't really have room to store wood for 2 years.

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cgeiger

cgeiger New Member

Loc:
    Northwestern VA
    I'd like to know the answer to that as well - I have access to lots of locust. Aside from being hard as concrete would love to know how long it's gotta sit.
  3. RAY_PA

RAY_PA Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    I cant answer ya, but I cut some standing live, back in the spring, its in the stacks for next winter. I could get a moisture reading from it and toss one in the summit if that'd help ya.....?
  4. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    Two yrs. & you will get the max. btu.
  5. metz

metz New Member

Loc:
    Western NC
    Yes. 90% of what I burn is black locust.
  6. waynek

waynek Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    Black locust comprises about 1/4 of my woodpile everyyear. I cut it Sept thru December, block it up, split it and stack it on pallets underneath my three-sided wood shed. It burns great the next fall.
  7. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    Black locust is second only to ash in water content. You can definetly burn it in one year. It looses very little moisture because it has little to give up. It is one of the heaviest seasoned firewood for this reason!
  8. FLINT

FLINT Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western VA Mtns.
    Great! Thanks guys! once I get this locust, I'll probably have most of my wood for next year.
  9. mbokie5

mbokie5 New Member

Loc:
    North America
    I was given a Black locust early winter. It's stacked and there were a few dead limbs.

The stuff is awesome for heat. We had a large bed of coals and 4 small pieces about 20" long, not even stacked but spread out with inches between them. It was the hottest wood I've ever burned.
  10. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    One year is plenty
  11. Cluttermagnet

Cluttermagnet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Mid Atlantic
    Two years is probably best- but I'm getting good results at under one year. I cut and split a Locust that was on the ground for maybe 3+ months, knocked over by a 'dozer to get at a septic tank. I was burning splits about 6 months after that. I do let them dry out a little more on a grille on top of the hot stove. The way it behaves, I suspect I'm getting pretty near full BTU's out of that wood. Burns a long time and coals very well.
  12. lobsta1

lobsta1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ma.
    In my old Russo it was great after 6 months under cover. In my new Englander 13, forget it! This is after it was cut, split & stacked in May of 2007. In Oct of 07 I tented over the stack with the ends & one side open.
    The top is supported a few feet above the stack. Essentially it is a lean to. The red oak done the same time & in the same stack is fine. Only way to burn the locust is dry it out around the stove for a few days.
    Al
  13. wendell

wendell Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
    I don't have any experience with black locust but do have a little honey locust and Norway maple that I cut and split last spring and was planning on burning it but just re-plit a piece and tested it and it is still around 30%. So, I would say if you don't have ideal drying conditions, I would think two years.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.