Is pine OK to burn in a cat?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleClutch

Jan 23, 2007
Virginia coast
Assuming you've gotten the stove hot enough with hardwoods to light off the cat, is it OK to throw in some pine when the cat is running?

Also, will pine not creosote-up your chimney if you burn it while running the cat? I always heard you shouldn't burn pine for that reason, though I've always burned it in moderation...

Thanks.

YES YOU CAN BURN PINE/fir or any other softwood as long as it is dry.

That is all we burn out west as their are very few hardwoods.

Sorry for the yelling but it is one of those days.
cheers

Nope, can't do it. It will make you sterile and cause the family pet to froth at the mouth. It will also require the release of several ferrets into the burning firebox to eradicate the horrible mess that you have just created. :bug: (obviously just funnin' ya).

Properly seasoned cord wood will burn just dandy in your stove. If it came from the stump from a North American tree, then burn it.

Properly seasoned being the KEY WORDS.

Capslock day was October 22nd.

billb3 said:

But I'm in the central time zone, so it is the 24th here.

billb3 said:

WHAT??!!?? SO, BUSH CHANGED THAT TOO, JUST LIKE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME? WHO KNEW? RICK

Whatever you do, make sure your cats are well seasoned before burning them. Otherwise you risk furball buildup in the flue. :)

fossil said:
billb3 said:

WHAT??!!?? SO, BUSH CHANGED THAT TOO, JUST LIKE DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME? WHO KNEW? RICK

For goodness sake!! Don`t knock the one thing that Bush has signed-off on that I am in favor of. At least even at this time of year I can still go outside without worrying about falling down and not being able to get up :lol: It is still light at 6 pm-and that is a good thing. Get a grip fossil, we are not all cats :coolsmirk:

Funny thing about pine. I have burned tons of it over the years that was cut and split the spring before or in the summer. Burned fine. This year I have a half cord that is over a year and a half on the stacks. That stuff is phenomenal in the 30. I wish I had five more cords of it for this year.

I have been throwing chunks of pine in my Napoleon of and on to help heat her up quick. Works great.

I like my cats with gravy. :cheese:

Pine in a cat, is that like shish kabob ?

No, sadly, pine only burns well on the West coast. You can send it to me.

DoubleClutch said:
Assuming you've gotten the stove hot enough with hardwoods to light off the cat, is it OK to throw in some pine when the cat is running?

Also, will pine not creosote-up your chimney if you burn it while running the cat? I always heard you shouldn't burn pine for that reason, though I've always burned it in moderation...

Thanks.

Thats right you got it Double Clutch. Assuming my shipment of hardwood shows up VIA Purolator Iam then able to proceed
to light my stove and get it up to temperature to light off my cat. Then once it is ready I load it with pine but dont engage it in case it wrecks/damages my combustor. Since now Iam running my stove on a full load of Pine and only can afford to use the hard wood I import to start it. I must now let the stove go out so I can clean the creosote from my chimney and safely restart the stove using that hardwood. I figure I go through 6-7 cords of hardwood shipped up from the south every year to do this process. Thats about $8000 a year for shipping but it sure beats burning all that pine stuff as thats all we have. My CAT thanx me for it. ;-)

Two full scoops of ice cold sarcasm on a pine cone.

billb3 said:
Two full scoops of ice cold sarcasm on a pine cone.

Just keeping up with the Jaggses, and getting the point across that there is a whole other world out there going on. Like how the other half exist. Type in (burning pine) in the search forums. Its easy.
N of 60

DoubleClutch said:

Thanks.

Getting back to the original post, "is it OK to throw in some pine when the cat is running?" Well, no. You disengage the cat for 10-15 minutes when you put the pine in. Then engage it again and all will be well.

BB says those cats work well for cleaning the glass too.

Status
Not open for further replies.