Is Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Highbeam said:
I thought I would be a smartypants and just split off the outer layer of the round which is the obvious white pitch. Well, it turns out that the inside was quite fat and the wife sooted up the glass. It burns right off of course but now she is leery of the pine. Me too. I don't want to waste the good stuff so I am seperating it out into a fat pile.

Diesel fuel gets the pitch off of your hands too.

so does peanut butter but it doesnt taste so good after.

This is interesting :coolgrin:

Here in New England we have A LOT of white pines but everyone says they just cresote-up you flue and are not worth burning indoors???

shortlid said:
Here in New England we have A LOT of white pines but everyone says they just cresote-up you flue and are not worth burning indoors???

They are wrong, just make sure its well seasoned

nshif said:
shortlid said:

They are wrong, just make sure its well seasoned

Is well seasoned two years??

Depends on your drying conditions (sun wind humidity etc ) Out here with little or no humidity and pleanty of sun and warm to hot summers I can get it dry in one year

nshif said:
Depends on your drying conditions (sun wind humidity etc ) Out here with little or no humidity and pleanty of sun and warm to hot summers I can get it dry in one year

This past summer it was really dry. the summer before it was humid.

Hi, Pine is fne to burn, but here in the NE you only get short burn cycles from it. Also, don't get too far ahead, maybe three years because it starts going the other way quickly. You don't want to waste all your hard work.

Jim

shortlid,
I also had heard that pine is not good to burn due to creosote. I have had tons of it taken away.

brogsie said:
shortlid,
I also had heard that pine is not good to burn due to creosote. I have had tons of it taken away.

Is there alot of Creosote still in the wood after two years of seasoning/?

OH NOEZ TEH CREOSOTES!!!!!

ALL WOOD has the capability to create creosote, I would argue that burning WET OAK is worse than burning WET PINE. At least the pitch in pine is flammable.
Pine dries faster than hardwoods and after two years it is definitely dry

Bottom line, burn dry wood.

I don't think the amount of oils in the wood don't vary with age that much. Creosote is a byproduct of condensation in the chimney system. It's more how it's burned than age of wood once it's seasoned. If burnt in a smoldering stove connected to a cold, uninsulated exterior chimney, yes there will likely be bad creosote accumulation. By the same token it could be seasoned one year and burnt clean and hot via a good warm interior stack and accumulate almost nothing.

babalu87 said:
OH NOEZ TEH CREOSOTES!!!!!

Bottom line, burn dry wood.

This i know to be very true :)

There was a big storm here last April, lots of trees down. The oak and maple was scooped up, but the pine was left and still there.
I think I'll cut it up and give it a try. Nobody around here burns pine that I know of. The tree guys can't get rid of it.

I love using pine at start up. Instant heat and creates a good bed of coals to start adding either more pine/harder woods. I tend to be able to get secondary burn faster with a pine coal base with any wood added.

shortlid said:

Well, there in New England you have A LOT of good hardwood options. No reason not to take advantage of that! BUT, given that the pine is cheap or free, no reason not to mix some in to your wood stream, your heating dollar will go a lot further. I load a pine split at the back of my stove, a hardwood split at the front. Burning together, the hardwood really helps the pine behave... I get a clean flame, clean glass, and great heat... and the expensive hardwood goes a lot further that way.

Eddy

Well, there in New England you have A LOT of good hardwood options. No reason not to take advantage of that! BUT, given that the pine is cheap or free, no reason not to mix some in to your wood stream, your heating dollar will go a lot further. I load a pine split at the back of my stove, a hardwood split at the front. Burning together, the hardwood really helps the pine behave... I get a clean flame, clean glass, and great heat... and the expensive hardwood goes a lot further that way.

Eddy[/quote]

Thanks eddy :coolgrin:

Pine is also great to use in fall/spring when you want a quicker, shorter burn to take off the chill.

BeGreen said:
Pine is also great to use in fall/spring when you want a quicker, shorter burn to take off the chill.

Begreen

Is birtch Good to burn?

Yes, it is. Black birch is especially good.

BeGreen said:
Yes, it is. Black birch is especially good.

What about white birtch? I frind has some for me.

Take it. Not as high heat, but it burns fine as long as it is seasoned and not punky.

BeGreen said:
Take it. Not as high heat, but it burns fine as long as it is seasoned and not punky.

Whats "punky"?

soft, rotten. When punky, it will feel light and fluffy and can crumble in your hand.

BeGreen said:
soft, rotten. When punky, it will feel light and fluffy and can crumble in your hand.

Thank you :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.