is Quadra-fire 1200i pellet insert stove big enough for our 1600sqf ranch?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you give some other details also?

Year built? Insulation?

Wow it's going to be hard to get the heat out of that main room into the kitchen....maybe a few fans?

I'll let some of the more expirenced guys chime in....

BUMP!

Have you confirmed the insulation is good? How many inches in the ceiling. 1950 construction insulation could be sub-optimal these days. Has it been upgraded?

I had the 1200i, nice stove. But given the older home and climate, I don't think it will work well on it's own when the temps get below about 25. If that's ok, it is a good stove, easy to clean and reliable. However, if it were me I would be putting in a new Mt. Vernon. It's much quieter, even easier to clean, and will have more reserve for the colder nights when it's in the teens or lower.

The ceiling is about 7'8". I was thinking about Mt. Vernon but it is too heavy and I am worry about installation and repair. I plan to install it myself and mantain it myself. If it is too heavy (420lbs), i cannot move it by myself.

Once you get it in place you shouldn't need to move it again. With pellet units it doesn't hurt to oversize because you can always burn them on medium (which actually works best).

I have a Quadra-fire 1200 free standing pellet stove and it heats well. I have a newer open floor plan house about 2200 sq ft. the back bedrooms are a little cool, but thats ok. It will be replaced with a Mt Vernon.

SteveG said:
I have a Quadra-fire 1200 free standing pellet stove and it heats well. I have a newer open floor plan house about 2200 sq ft. the back bedrooms are a little cool, but thats ok. It will be replaced with a Mt Vernon.

So, you use the 1200i to heat the 2200sqf house having no problem last winter? thanks

SteveG said:

Steve, I'm confused. Weren't you grumbling often last winter about not getting enough heat out of the 1200i for your house? Did it end up being something else like the pellets?

OK, that's not original, it's been supplemented.

heh... is that vermiculite?

6" is not very much BTW...

jtp10181 said:
heh... is that vermiculite?

You mean it may contain asbestos? Are you serious? We just bought the house, the inspector did not say that. I will post more photos, please look at it carefully for me. thanks.

Vermiculite is not asbestos... its used to insulate chimney liners and also used in LP Gas Logs an other gas fireplaces for various things. I have just never seen it in someone attic before.

You are waaaay to paranoid. I never said anything was wrong with it. I just thought it was funny, end of story, that's it.

It has an R value just like every other kind of insulation, I personally have not seen it in an attic (I have not been in a lot of attics either).

Sorry sir. there are lots of things i don't know about the house. I am first time house owner (only four months). Having spent lots of money to get an old house, we are still worry about this and that of the house. Our first underagreement house was insulated by Vermiculite, which contains asbestos, .... We are a little neverous about it but I personal don't care it too much. Thank you sir, just foget about me please.

I did complain a little bit last year about the stove. Towards the end of the year I adjusted the stove and it seems to heat better. I took the stove apart and gave it a good cleaning and I readjusted the flame. It seems to have done the trick. I'm not rushing out tomorrow to buy the MT Vernon, I think that I'll wait until all the bugs are out. I really need to have a powerful stove, because my house has electric heat. I used to have a really nice Harmon wood stove and I overfired it once the whole stove turned red as did the pipe. It was making all these loud noises and you could smell it. That happened after I had been using the stove for a couple of years it just ran away on me. That incident scared me to death and I sold it. Heating with pellets for about 7 yrs and i like it. I do miss the wood from time to time.

That's good to hear. I liked the 1200i and found it really easy to maintain.

If you are heating well in CT, I suspect your house may be pretty well insulated. When it got below 30 degrees, our 1200i was really struggling to heat our house of the same size.

Hi Begreen wow you have a great memory. You remembered my complaints last year. My house is insulated very well. The stove does a very good job. Once in a while when it gets real cold we do kick the electric heat on just for a short while. I'm on the fence about getting a MT Vernon or should i get a furnace. I don't have natural gas here and oil is going crazy.

I wish, most of what comes in my head is out in 5 minutes. But I do remember your problems with the used 1200i for some odd reason and a quick search reminded me of the details. Had the stove ever been cleaned by the previous owners?

FWIW, I don't think lmei007 is going to have quite the success you have with the 1200i. The house is older and appears to need more insulation. I'm not sure about the windows. But the 1200i would be an ok area heater for them.

As to supplementing, in your house, I think I'd stay the same for now. I feel for your dilemma, but all things fuel related are going up and will continue to go up. Pellets have to be transported and that requires oil too. Best to keep things as tight and efficient as possible, consider solar supplemental if that is an option, and lower the thermostat.

I bought the house last year and the stove was here. I don't think they ever gave it a good cleaning. It looks like the stove is only 4 yrs old. I had a harmon insert and a quadra-fire sante fe in my old house, so I'm no stranger to pellet stoves. Is it normal for the 1200 to have a blazing fire when it first starts? it does settle down after a while. I found this stove very hard to get the flame just right. My house was built in 1985 and its insulated very well and the previous owner had the windows replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.