Is roxul safe without block off plate?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sons924

Burning Hunk
Mar 7, 2013
I'm going to install a block off plate for my Montpelier insert next spring. I have so many other projects to do for now, so I'm considering taking the easy way out and just packing roxul in the damper opening. I read somewhere that this is pretty nasty stuff and I don't want the fibers comming into the room. Any advice? Or is the plate my only option.

The plate is there for "permanence". It is to hold up the insulation for life. It can also be used to obtain a seal. You really don't want that insulation dropping down onto the top of the stove in the middle of the night. The plate shouldn't really be a big job to do. Light gauge stuff is pretty easy to work with.

But to answer your original question...requirement - no. Highly recommended...yes.

Your right I don't want the insulation comming down. Alright, it's on the before winter list.

I will say that Roxul is pretty sturdy, I did not install a block off plate on mine and it has held it place for the past 2 years. For an insert install that will have a surround a block off plate is not as important.

Only downside is that if the insulation did decide to give way - you will never know it.

The only time I would really worry about it falling on top is if the power goes out. Always have the blower on so the top does not get all that hot as the air jacket goes on the top and sides. If the power goes out I have a UPS powering my blower till I am able to remove the surround.

I always recommend having an Insert blower hooked up to a UPS backup battery.

I was also lazy and just jammed a bunch of Roxul up there. It stayed up there all year, no problems. Just don't pack it too tightly as I think the air is what provides the actual insulation value... at least that's how it is for fiberglass.

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm going to wait till the cold to see if I need it. We will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.