Is split rail fence worth the effort?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy S.

Feeling the Heat
Oct 28, 2013
Southeastern, PA
Saw a CL ad today offering up hundreds of free rails. Are they worth the trouble of picking up and cutting to length? I'm thinking it would be good shoulder season stuff but it never hurts to ask.

Wood is wood. If it's a desirable species, go for it. If it's treated, you don't want to burn it.

I've seen some mass produced treated pine and cedar fences, but I've also seen some homemade rail made of untreated black locust.

Even if it's for kindling and starting from coals after an overnight burn, they're free.

Cedar rails are great fire starters, I'd get'em. Heck, you might be able to use them for building a wood rack or shelter as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.