Is Stove Performance Up to Par?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBall

Aug 11, 2007
Western North Carolina
Like many folks posting here, I am curious if I am getting reasonable performance from my stove. First some background- I have a Buck 81 insert (non-cat, with 2.4 cubic ft. capacity). I have a 18.5 ft. interior chimney, with insulated liner and capped at the top. Don't have a block-off plate yet, but plan on adding one ASAP. I have been burning oak, locust and hickory. Other than start-up, never see smoke from the chimney, glass stays clean except for hazy streak about 2" wide (vertical) on far left side on glass. Do have some problem with build-up of coals. Moisture meter indicates wood is 15% to 19%. I have a magnetic thermometer on front of stove, above the door. Here is a record of one burn cycle today, which is typical:

1. Full reload at 11am on good bed of coals- stove temp 280
2. 11:15- stove temp 400, cut air back to 75% open
3. 11:20- stove temp 450, cut air back to 50% open
4. 11:25- stove temp 480, cut air back to 25% open, good secondaries
5. noon- stove temp 510, good secondaries
6. 12:30- stove temp 500, still see good secondary burn
7. 1:30- stove temp 430
8. 2:00- stove temp 400
9. 3:00- stove temp 350, opened air back to full, as wood had turned to large chunks of coal
10. 3:30 stove temp 300, reloaded

Does this sound reasonable, or should I be getting longer, hotter burns? Sorry for long post, but wanted to provide as much info as possible- deeply appreciate any and all responses. Thanks!

What happens if at step 4 or 5 the air is completely closed?

Sounds like it's running correctly ... you could burn hotter by waiting to turn down the air after reaching 500* and letting it get 550-600 to throw more heat if that is desired.....You won't hurt it running a little hotter, looks like you have it well under control.

Pretty much the performance I get if I put in a load the size a 2.2cf firebox would take, which I frequently do. That 300 with the big coals will hang around for a long time and if the house is warm should hold the inside temp.

The way I look at it at the end of the burn cycle is that the blower on low is pushing 150 to 200 degree air out into the room. My heat pump would be pushing 100 degree or less air out into that room.

I think I would try to get the stove up to 525-575 and use your same process of cutting back...perhaps fully close as begreen indicated.
I think you might have better results in getting your temps up higher before cutting back on the air.

Appreciate responses. Regarding questions- if I close air all the way down at stages 4 or 5, I briefly get strong secondary burn, but flames begin to die, and temps start to drop. Have been unable to get temps above 510 or 520 at any point, with full air, or air partially closed.

Just not convinced I have sufficient draft to keep secondaries fully engaged for long periods in order to reach higher temps....I have seen references to problems with an air knockout with other inserts (Pacific Energy for example)- that hampered stove's ability in draw air to secondaries- could that be an issue? Ridge behind my house with tall trees may also be exerting a negative impact on my draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.