is stove size related to flue temps?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostock

Oct 27, 2010
Sharpsburg Maryland
larger stove = more (hot) surface area = more heat in the room. Will a larger stove create hotter temps in the flue than a smaller stove? For example - if two stoves are cruising at say 500*, we expect the larger stove to put more heat in the room. However, will the exhaust/heat going up the flue to be any different, than with the smaller stove? My intuition says there should be only a nominal (if any at all) diff in flue temp based on a possible increase in volume of exhaust. But my intuition is typically only about 60-62% accurate..

Lookin for input from the gurus...

Flue temps at which end? Velocity is a big factor WRT to flue temps. Too large a flue and too little velocity to service the flue will result in too much heat loss in the flue.

oops - didn't think about a specific end of the flue (but if there is a temp/velocity increase on one end i would think there would be an increase at the other end anyway). But your post makes me think: are you saying switching a small stove for a mid-size stove will increase velocity and flue temp? btw if i switch out my 6" stove i would remain with a 6" stove..

LLigetfa said:
Flue temps at which end? Velocity is a big factor WRT to flue temps. Too large a flue and too little velocity to service the flue will result in too much heat loss in the flue.

I think he is trying to compare with "all else equal". Maybe assume correctly designed/functional flues for both stoves. I'm really not sure if the OP is looking for an increase in temp or BTU's up the flue.

Rockey said:
LLigetfa said:

I think he is trying to compare with "all else equal". Maybe assume correctly designed/functional flues for both stoves. I'm really not sure if the OP is looking for an increase in heat or BTU's up the flue.

correct, sorry - all else equal, using sound operating practices. not looking to send more up the flue :)

All things being equal... but they never are...

A flue looses heat through its sides. Velocity (related to volume) will determine how much loss there will be, all other things being equal.

If the small stove has the same flue temp as the big stove, one might surmise that the big stove is moving more volume of flue gasses so the velocity should be higher and the so have the ablity to sustain temps higher up the flue.

In reality there are probably other metrics to factor. A smaller stove would probably be pushed harder and so come closer to the big stove in volume and therefore velocity. It could even surpass the big stove as the big stove could give more heat to room and therefore be throttled back.

Status
Not open for further replies.