Is Stovecombustor.com a reputable company?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaw

Feb 20, 2006
I am in the market for a new combustor for my 2190 Defiant Encore- I sent a question,Twice, to Stovecombustor.com and never received a response on either. This makes me hesitant to buy anything- if that is the level of customer service they have.
Has anybody bought a combustor from them? Any problems with them on shipment etc... also how do their combustors work compared to the Corning Combustors- I know Stove Combustor claims theirs fire at a lower temp.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

I have used one of their combustors over a year no complaints here

In fact when I was doing the VC plant tour I asked the chief engineers why not used them in your stoves He admitted that they were better than the OEM combustors.
They why not install them in your stoves? It was a price decision their OEM supplier had a better price . What about the 25% extended range they light off at? again it was price

Same here, I e-mailed them twice just to see if they had my cat and how much. Never received a reply. Maybe you should try calling them?

ive played with them ,they light off a bit quicker, if you get one make sure it is a banded cat. i didnt feel like they attained the temperatures that the applied ceramics cell cat my stove had in it origionally was able to reach. may have just been my particular unit or what i was burning , i used one for a season and reinstalled my applied ceramics cat back into the unit. just was happier with the applied, the clear skies cat (the one this company makes, performed ok, had i not used the applied and seen what it was capable of i would likely figured that the clear skies was just fine. its an ok catalyst, i didnt have a warranty issue with their cat so i cant speak about how they do in that case. hope this is helpful, i'd tell ya more if i had more to report, but i only ran that cat the one season

Most forget there is a cermanic gasket tape the fits around the cat . If Esw forgot to add it that could explain some issues he might have had
I agree to get the banded cat. I ordered on line and received it right away. I did not email him so I don't know about communications that way
David V also has had luck with these replacement cats

Year number 3 for me. They still work. I usually engage the cat bypass when my temps read about 400. it works fine. only thing you can see from the top of the chimney is heat waves. Stoves cooking away at 600 right now (survace temp in front) make sure your wood is dry. wet wood is hell on cats. I havn't had to clean mine since last year and hopefully won't have to clean them this year at all. Had them covered with fly ash twice this year....not gonna point fingers at who was operating the stove that day.... and both times, I let the stove cool down, blew them out with compressed air, then fired it up and got the stove good and hot before trying to engage them....about 500 degrees. Cooked all the cruddies right off them and away we went.

I find this interesting, and its also the first person that has spoken up about this not being the holy grail of combustors.

Im in the market for a combustor, but if I can spend $135, vs the $250 for one that gets hotter but lights off a bit slower, im not that impatient.

stoveguy2esw said:
ive played with them ,they light off a bit quicker, if you get one make sure it is a banded cat. i didnt feel like they attained the temperatures that the applied ceramics cell cat my stove had in it origionally was able to reach. may have just been my particular unit or what i was burning , i used one for a season and reinstalled my applied ceramics cat back into the unit. just was happier with the applied, the clear skies cat (the one this company makes, performed ok, had i not used the applied and seen what it was capable of i would likely figured that the clear skies was just fine. its an ok catalyst, i didnt have a warranty issue with their cat so i cant speak about how they do in that case. hope this is helpful, i'd tell ya more if i had more to report, but i only ran that cat the one season

Status
Not open for further replies.