Is that really a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing that it is just tossed in the truck I would so no, not a full cord. Looks to be a good size pick up though with a full 8' box, so 4x4x8 loose pile would likely be close to 3/4 cord.

Probably not. Its probably going to be around 3/4 of a cord. Especially since it looks like its been thrown in the truck rather than stacked. They should really have staked sides. However, even for 3/4 of a cord, $115 is pretty dang good. Especially if it really is seasoned and they're going to stack it for you (or at least help).

I'll bet dollars to donuts that there is NO WAY that when that truckload is stacked, that it will equal a cord. That being said - as stated above - for $115, you really cant go wrong.

If it's not four feet wide, four feet tall, and eight feet long and in a tight stack, then it's not a cord. That is probably between 1/2 and 3/4 of a cord. I paid $150/cord for my firewood, so that might be a good deal if it's really mostly hardwood and really seasoned.

~Rose

Plus you have to take out for the wheel wells.
Just tell them after they stack it you will measure and pay accordingly! They did say 4 x 4 x 8 in the add.

Gary

Or wait UNTIL they stack it then pay accordingly. :lol:

Gary

I don't see a problem. Seller says a cord is $115, then shows a picture of a truck with some wood. He never says the truck is a cord. Sounds like a reasonable seller.

Danno77 said:
I don't see a problem. Seller says a cord is $115, then shows a picture of a truck with some wood. He never says the truck is a cord. Sounds like a reasonable seller.

Yea he says:

4X4X8 CHORD 115.00 (SHOWN BELOW)

Gary

Gary_602z said:
[Yea he says:

Gary
guess he does. It's an 8ft bed and it's wider than 4ft, but not 4ft high. probably not quite a "Chord".

Danno77 said:
Gary_602z said:
[Yea he says:

Gary
guess he does. It's an 8ft bed and it's wider than 4ft, but not 4ft high. probably not quite a "Chord".
I''ll bet a "chord" is as much as fits in that 8' bed. We have a new term!

At least he knows what a cord is SUPPOSED to be. I don't care if $115 IS a good deal, he promises 4x4x8 c/d/s for $115 and that's what he should deliver. He shouldn't be allowed to get away with less.

Put too much wood in that truck and tires will B flat.

Kenster said:
Put too much wood in that truck and tires will B flat.

F sharp enough, his saw should be able to cut the logs to size...

But, Officer.... I had no idea she was A minor!!

I better get off the computer before I get into treble. Good night.

I have the same 8' bed Super Duty as in the pic. I built walls on the sides that come straight up to just shy of the cab hieght by a couple inches. Calculated out if I remember was 1.1 cord (not subtracting for wheel wells though).

This guys stack may peak out in the middle at a similar hieght but no way without sides on it that his stack is as high as the cab at the bedwalls and it tapers off in the back as well. I'd say if it was stacked tight to those dimensions he has 3/4 cord but since its loose thrown I'd say probably 2/3 cord.

Here is what I built and is about a cord (if it was stacked full and tight):
2nd pic is actually heaped over the cab a few inched, so should make up for the wheel well loss and the last couple inches lost between wood and tailgate.

Attachments

• IMG_0133-800.jpg
    IMG_0133-800.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 558
  • IMG_1682-700.jpg
    IMG_1682-700.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 534
Gary_602z said:
Plus you have to take out for the wheel wells.
Just tell them after they stack it you will measure and pay accordingly! They did say 4 x 4 x 8 in the add.

Gary

Or wait UNTIL they stack it then pay accordingly. :lol:

Gary
This ^^^ when it's all stacked, measure it and pro-rate his payment.

Here's my borrowed from Craig's list, 1/2 cord in a full size truck picture for reference.
5cordinatruck1jpg.jpg

D major reason to avoid that guy is that it looks like he's selling A diminished chord. A major triad and true method is to figure 180 cubic feet tossed = 128 cubic feet stacked.

Battenkiller said:
D major reason to avoid that guy is that it looks like he's selling A diminished chord. A major triad and true method is to figure 180 cubic feet tossed = 128 cubic feet stacked.

I think you win. :lol:

Battenkiller said:

I yield. Well done.

Battenkiller said:
You are F sharp.

Status
Not open for further replies.