Is the Blaze King the only thermostatic damper stove out there?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bjorn773

Sep 12, 2007
Rockford, Illinois
I'm intrigued by the thermostatic damper on the blaze king. It sounds like it allows for some crazy long clean burns. If the technology is as great as it's hyped up to be, why is it the only stove using it? Or is it?

Reactions: UrbanBrnr
I have to suspect that some of it has to do with a cat stove being able to burn a load slower than a non-cat. BK doesn't have thermostatic control on their non-cat stoves.

I believe Vermont Castings still uses them. I used to have a Encore that had one. It worked great. I wish my Jotuls had them.

My RSF technically is a fireplace, not a free standing stove but it is non-cat and has a thermostatic control. Mine is OAK fed and is influenced somewhat by outside air temperature so as a runaway fire draws in more cold air it cools it and lets more in. I manually adjust the doghouse air accordingly.

Reading the last 2 posts made me realize that I could probably put a thermostatically-controlled damper in my OAK. The temp sensor for the thermostat would be on the stove but the inlet air control could be on the OAK assembly. The electronics would be pretty simple. Finding a nice stepper-motor driven inline damper (or equivalent) would be the harder part.

Up until now I'd only considered automatically adjusting the stove's original air control lever which would look terrible since its up front.

Thanks!

FratFart said:
Semipro said:
Reading the last 2 posts made me realize that I could probably put a thermostatically-controlled damper in my OAK. The temp sensor for the thermostat would be on the stove but the inlet air control could be on the OAK assembly. The electronics would be pretty simple. Finding a nice stepper-motor driven inline damper (or equivalent) would be the harder part.

Up until now I'd only considered automatically adjusting the stove's original air control lever which would look terrible since its up front.

Thanks!
i talked to the guy & said yknot MAGIC HEAT! =duh

"Magic Heat" is just an add-on heat exchanger right, not a device to control stove temp, right?

Semipro said:
"Magic Heat" is just an add-on heat exchanger right, not a device to control stove temp, right?
Right, except that flue temp controls draft and draft controls combustion air draw and combustion air controls well... combustion.

LLigetfa said:
Semipro said:
"Magic Heat" is just an add-on heat exchanger, not a device to control stove temp, right?
Right, except that flue temp controls draft and draft controls combustion air draw and combustion air controls well... combustion.

I don't disagree with that but that's not its primary purpose right? The thermostat it has only engages the circulation fan when the flue gets hot enough right? (really asking cause I don't know). Which, I agree will remove heat from the flue, decreasing draft.

These are new to me so I'm just trying to understand what you guys are saying.

I have a fireplace install with no room for one of these anyway so its not an option.

I wasn't advocating one, pooook was. I was just explaining the physics of draft induced combustion which you seem to have a firm grasp of anyway. The problem becomes understanding poook's (ab)use of the English language to comprehend his explanation.

A lot of it probably has to do with needing to pass EPA certification too. With the cat lit off a thermo can close down the primary air and burn clean. With a non-cat the thing might close it down in the middle of the test, kill secondary combustion, and the manufacturer would see something like twenty grand fly out the window and fail the test.

I think the best place for a thermo on a non-cat is on the secondary air intake. I think that is what VC used to do on their cats. The thermo controlled the air feed to the cat. May be wrong about that and have always wondered. In fact I wonder exactly where BK controls it too.

BrotherBart said:
A lot of it probably has to do with needing to pass EPA certification too. With the cat lit off a thermo can close down the primary air and burn clean. With a non-cat the thing might close it down in the middle of the test, kill secondary combustion, and the manufacturer would see something like twenty grand fly out the window and fail the test.

I think the best place for a thermo on a non-cat is on the secondary air intake. I think that is what VC used to do on their cats. The thermo controlled the air feed to the cat. May be wrong about that and have always wondered. In fact I wonder exactly where BK controls it too.

The certification angle sounds reasonable to me.

As best as I can tell after disassembly of my new Oslo non-cat all combustion air enters via a 3" dia. hole in the bottom rear. If anyone knows different I'd like to know about it.

Thanks.

BrotherBart said:
I have to suspect that some of it has to do with a cat stove being able to burn a load slower than a non-cat. BK doesn't have thermostatic control on their non-cat stoves.

Your wrong, my blaze king is NONCAT and it hs the thermostatic control for air intake on the back.

BrotherBart said:
In fact I wonder exactly where BK controls it too.
Maybe I'm oversimplifing it, but BK regulates the primary air, right above the inlet at the back of the stove.

mine only has a single air source i am aware of.. and its on theback and regulated by the knob on the right side/automatically also

bjorn773 said:
I'm intrigued by the thermostatic damper on the blaze king. It sounds like it allows for some crazy long clean burns. If the technology is as great as it's hyped up to be, why is it the only stove using it? Or is it?

The thermostatic damper doesn't make the burn last longer. It controls the amount of combustion air that gets to the fire. It is like a slave who's only job is to open and close the air intake when the temperature of the stove gets above or below the selected temperature. This is how the stove can give even heat without you jumping up to adjust the damper when you start sweating or freezing. Soapstone stoves and stoves of large mass try to get the same effect by providing lots of material to radiate heat evenly with minimal hot and cool spikes.
The Blaze Kings can hold a very large load of wood, which can be burned at a very slow rate. A non-cat stove cannot do this without major problems of creosote buildup (even dry wood makes creosote to a degree when it is being distilled like this) and as mentioned above, this would not make EPA standards.
There are some stoves that still use the bi-metalic coil thermostatic damper, I am not aware of all of them, but many are not high end stoves. Earthstove was a good one in its day. Ashley still makes sheetmetal thermostatic stoves, but they are not catalytic, and some burn coal. Ashley at one time made a oval, blued steel sheet metal stove that had a large capacity and a thermostat. They were inexpensive and put out an amazing amount of heat, largly because of the sheetmetal firebox. Not something you would expect to last very long, but a heck of a cabin stove.
I am looking forward to a stove with these features-

Good looks of Soapstone, with appealing archetechure, and glass door for viewing (steel is fine if also beautiful to the eye)

Catalytic combustion, with a tough, non-sensitive and durable cat

Thermostatic air control

Large fuel capacity, about 4 to 5 cubic feet, with quality, long lasting fire brick

A cleanout that is easy to access, and a large capacity ash drawer

Quiet blowers with long life variable speed motors

Entire stove built of highest quality materials, consumable parts like gaskets and seals easily replaced with commonly available materials

Such a stove would probably cost 4 or 5k, but I can dream, can't I? Until this comes along, I am completely satisfied with my
old Princess.

greythorn3 said:
BrotherBart said:

Your wrong, my blaze king is NONCAT and it hs the thermostatic control for air intake on the back.

Show me a currently made and sold BK non-cat with a thermostat please. I may have missed something.

BrotherBart said:
greythorn3 said:
BrotherBart said:

Show me a currently made and sold BK non-cat with a thermostat please. I may have missed something.

His BK is an older model pre EPA i belive.

Todd said:
BrotherBart said:
greythorn3 said:
BrotherBart said:

His BK is an older model pre EPA i belive.

I know. They very probably couldn't get the old non-cat thermo model though EPA testing. His body in his avitar looks pretty pre-EPA too. :lol:

mines old its the model in my signature. are you saying the new blaze king non cats dont have the thermostaic control?

greythorn3 said:
mines old its the model in my signature. are you saying the new blaze king non cats dont have the thermostaic control?

I don't think you are picking up what some of us have been layin down Greythorn. All the NEW BKs in the model/style you have are Cats only. AND, yes thermostatic.
That's why its funny you say that BK is #1 in Alaska But.....Your dealers say cat stoves are no good there. :blank: BK makes non- Cats but they are a different series of stove. The Briarwood and the Guardian. Totally different animals. No auto dampers in a non-cat as would smoke like hell and not meet EPA standards. The cat line are the only ones you can turn down and let it smolder and still burn clean, as long as the cat is up to par. I swear by mine but to each is his own. I think you need to check out their web site to actually know what they offer. Your dealers or the info you getting is all wrong as it contradicts itself. Hope this puts you in the right direction. http://www.blazeking.com/wood-stoves.html
Your northern neighbor burnin the same softwoods, N of 60 ;-)

ahh i see! i thought you could still get the classic in non cat.. anyhow i dont care what the dealers say, im getting the blaze king king in ultra cat when i get a new one. its awesome and on display here for 2800$ that will be my next stove. unless anoter catches my fancy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.