Is the dreaded gum tree ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James02

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
N.Y.S.
While I was splitting it it was real stringy, and kinda smelled like peppers too! Weird! Thoughts?

Are you asking if the tree is a sweetgum or black gum? Are the leaves still on the tree? Are the leaves 5 pointed - if so, sweet gum. If the leaves are more or less oval, and tapering to a point near the tip, then black gum. I think both are medium in terms of BTU's. I don't turn down much - if the wood is solid, I'll take it. Lower BTU species get used during shoulder season. I will turn down low BTU species if it is a bear to get the wood. Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Are you asking if the tree is a sweetgum or black gum? Are the leaves still on the tree? Are the leaves 5 pointed - if so, sweet gum. If the leaves are more or less oval, and tapering to a point near the tip, then black gum. I think both are medium in terms of BTU's. I don't turn down much - if the wood is solid, I'll take it. Lower BTU species get used during shoulder season. I will turn down low BTU species if it is a bear to get the wood. Cheers!

No leaves....I remember a thread over the past week I couldn't find noting what a pain it is.

sweet gum has spiny balls and pointed 5 star leaves and burns faster than Red Maple..... and it will punk out faster than you can say "cover the sweet gum pile"
It punked out in less than 8 months so cover it !

WB

James02 said:
NH_Wood said:

No leaves....I remember a thread over the past week I couldn't find noting what a pain it is.

The thread was mine. I will never forget that tree and will pass it up whenever I come across it in the future unless I am in dire straits. The thread title was "Wood ID - misery to split". I have left the other tree of it on the ground where I am cutting up this wood. Whoever else wants it can take it. I have a pile of "strings" from the splits that I am going to have to take to the dump. The day after splitting the gum, we split a bunch of oak and the difference was night and day.

Thanks Fabsroman, that's the thread I was talking about. I feel the same way about it. I am real temped to give it away. It produced some good kindling, which I thought it was useful for. Then again I wont even have my stove till tomorrow, and haven't built a fire using it yet.

James02 said:
Thanks Fabsroman, that's the thread I was talking about. I feel the same way about it. I am real temped to give it away. It produced some good kindling, which I thought it was useful for. Then again I wont even have my stove till tomorrow, and haven't built a fire using it yet.

Where are you located on Long Island? My wife is from Hicksville and we usually visit her aunts and uncles up there about once a year. I can live with Long Island. Manhattan, not so much. As soon as I set foot in Manhattan I want to leave.

fabsroman said:
James02 said:

Where are you located on Long Island? My wife is from Hicksville and we usually visit her aunts and uncles up there about once a year. I can live with Long Island. Manhattan, not so much. As soon as I set foot in Manhattan I want to leave.

I'm in Levittown, directly south of Hicksville....But I work in Manhattan... Aweful commute 5x a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.