Is the Empress picky with pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrendainNJ

Nov 6, 2010
NW NJ
Hi all, we f-i-n-a-l-l-y picked an Enviro Empress (!) and it's being delivered 12/21. Also ordered 2 tons of Hamer's Hot ONes. We would have gotten 3, but hubby was concerned that the stove "might not like them." So, anyone know if this stove is particular about what it eats?

If your empress has the newer control board with the feed and convection blower trims on the control board. You should be able to tweak most pellets into burning well. I have a good feeling you will be a bit more picky about the pellets than the stove will be.

Don't forget the pictures of the new stove. Burning is a plus. We love to see the new toys in action. :)

I have an Empress FS which I purchased 3 yrs ago and I always wonder when people post that their stove does or doesn't like certain pellets. I have never had a problem with any pellet, naturally some are obviously better than others but my stove handles them all well.

I have burned a ton or more of the following without any problems: NEWP, Lignetics, LG Granules, Rocky Mountain, Okies and Dragon.
Good luck with your stove, I think you will be very happy. I love mine and am going on 3 years without any problem, with the exception of a door recall, which my dealer promptly replaced.

Thanks for the encouragement, Count! It's been a long road, but through a process of elimination of at least 6 other stoves, I'm happy with the decision--I think it's one of the "prettier" stoves! Just praying nothing goes wrong ...we had a Santa Fe ordered & had to cancel since our inspector would NOT pass the stove next to a window, even with OAK installed. Not in the manual, doesn't pass. So, until the stove is at least sitting in our garage, I'm gonna be a little nervous. Hooked up, running, passed inspection--I'll be ecstatic :lol:

And yes, will definitely post pics, my husband is making the hearth pad himself so I'm anxious to see it too.

I have an Empress FPI. I've been burning Hamer's just fine.

The stove, however really didn't have an appetite for Lignetics. They produced at least twice as much ash as anything else I tried and left crud on the window that I'm still trying to get off. (Everybody else who has used Lignetics seems to have no problems... I have no idea why I'm different...)

As everyone else will tell you, try before you buy. As you can see, two different Empress owners with different experiences from the same type of pellet.

Status
Not open for further replies.