1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Is the Environmental Improving Overall?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by semipro, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Later

Later New Member

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/10/091014122054.htm

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    No doubt they have problems, it comes with rapid growth. However, to say they are not acting on these issues is incorrect.

Interesting example though. For acid rain, China is number 3, behind Europe and the US. But they are working on it http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/01/13/us-china-pollution-idUSTRE70C3G420110113

As for political will, I would say that the US is in a glass house on that score. Industry needs and political favoritism often trump social good regarding the environment.
  3. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    My friends wear slippers when they come to my house because they're worried about how cold its going to be. I keep my house at 70f and that's too cold for most. For every one of us there are 10 others that don't care in the least. Aluminium cans and plastic bags are not going to save the world. Maybe a pandemic or social purge, but of course anything under 4% unemployment just leads to encouraging the population to breed.

Nothing is going to stop us from burning through everything. We would have to start eating rich people before things change.
  4. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I hear they taste like sea food dipped in butter. :vampire:
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    Amen, Btuser. I do think that we should look at our consumption of plastics etc, but ultimately population will be our downfall.

I'm getting the snip. Putting my money where my scrotum is.
  6. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I have never spawned a child - just taking care of someone elses.
  7. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Good on ya bro. I got nothing against breeders (hell, I suspect that my folks were), but if I feel the need to raise kids eventually- there's plenty out there that need a fambly. We're too damn happy being DINKs and trying to plan early retirement.
  8. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I watched as my wife's tube were tied after our 2nd was born. I figure if everyone that wanted kids could just constrain themselves to 2 then we'd have a net population decrease. That doesn't seem like that big of a sacrifice to make. Apparently it is.
  9. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    its too bad cannibalism is.....taboo. lots of problems could be solved relatively easily...like the ridiculous number of TV channels with nothing worth watching...eat them people...problem solved.
    I hear people are like tofu, basically taste like whatever you cook them with...I like gravy. I'm stickin with the 1 kid....someones gotta do the dishes, right? Besides, he's kinda funny.
  10. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Once they invented the remote control, I decided that I didn't need kids.
  11. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    I could loan you mine if you're ever in a pinch....or if your batteries in your remote die.
  12. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

Well, I've never heard them called pantalones before, but it's your screen name. :lol:
  13. btuser

btuser Minister of Fire

Loc:
    The island of Rhum Boogie
    My wife and I had (it BETTER be past tense!) one child and are seen as failures by our friends. Granted, I laugh at single men who think they understand women, and completely resent married couples who are "waiting for the right moment) for kids. So I guess I can understand the lack of relating to our one child by someone who's chosen to pump out 1/2 dozen units.

I like the one child thing. If women had a choice around the world I bet we could solve the population problem. I think education of women is the key to solving this. Literacy coupled with a big push towards female gun ownership!
  14. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I finally freakin' got it. Took me awhile.
  15. Delta-T

Delta-T Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NH
    thats funny, most of my multi-child friends comment that they should have stopped at 1 like we (my wife and i) did.

I'm still viewed as a failure, but having nothing to do with reproduction :)
  16. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Education of women has been shown to be one key to population issues. Worldwide, in general, the more educated a women is the less likely she is to have a greater no. of children. Of course there are numerous exceptions, especially where religion is an big influence.